Induction Cookers

Dear all,

This is my first post so before i say or ask for anything, I would like to thank the creators and contributors of this forum for creating such a wonderful bank of scientific knowledge on the Net. My humble knowledge of science have been bolstered ever since my discovery of this forum Thanks :D

Back to the topic, I have just bought a 5kW induction cooker from China and I would like to modify it DIY style to get better performance out of it. However, I have some questions. I hope you guys can help me out here.

From my readings (Wikipedia), I understand that an induction cooker transfers heat in 2 ways, 1) Magnetic hysteresis 2) Eddy currents. What it said was that the amount of heat produced by a cooker is directly proportional to the area of the hysteresis loop. Can I assume that the loop they are talking about is the coil that resides in the cooker?

And if I were to increased the coil in the cooker by a few more rounds of copper (increased surface area), would I be able to get more heat? Do I have to modify the components of the cooker so that it is able to take the extra rounds?

Is there anything else I can do to improve the performance (Eg increase wattage, better efficiency)

Due to my lack of this physics jargon, I hope i have made myself understandable.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you all and God Bless

Dear all' date='

This is my first post so before i say or ask for anything, I would like to thank the creators and contributors of this forum for creating such a wonderful bank of scientific knowledge on the Net. My humble knowledge of science have been bolstered ever since my discovery of this forum Thanks :D

Back to the topic, I have just bought a 5kW induction cooker from China and I would like to modify it DIY style to get better performance out of it. However, I have some questions. I hope you guys can help me out here.

From my readings (Wikipedia), I understand that an induction cooker transfers heat in 2 ways, 1) Magnetic hysteresis 2) Eddy currents. What it said was that the amount of heat produced by a cooker is directly proportional to the area of the hysteresis loop. Can I assume that the loop they are talking about is the coil that resides in the cooker?

And if I were to increased the coil in the cooker by a few more rounds of copper (increased surface area), would I be able to get more heat? Do I have to modify the components of the cooker so that it is able to take the extra rounds?

Is there anything else I can do to improve the performance (Eg increase wattage, better efficiency)

Due to my lack of this physics jargon, I hope i have made myself understandable.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you all and God Bless[/quote']

Hmm, I'm not sure. If you dont get any responses here check the engineering forum.

And if I were to increased the coil in the cooker by a few more rounds of copper (increased surface area)' date=' would I be able to get more heat? Do I have to modify the components of the cooker so that it is able to take the extra rounds?

[/quote']

No. Adding turns will change the inductance of the coil and knock the driver out of resonance giving you zero output.

Meir: If you know what your doing and test it before hooking up to the mains and then keep a suitible fire extinguisher handy on the first try then its not so dangerous. I have a toaster which i fiddled about with. it toasts things 30 seconds quicker than before but alas it cannot be used to travel through time.

From my readings (Wikipedia)' date=' I understand that an induction cooker transfers heat in 2 ways, 1) Magnetic hysteresis 2) Eddy currents. What it said was that the amount of heat produced by a cooker is directly proportional to the area of the hysteresis loop. Can I assume that the loop they are talking about is the coil that resides in the cooker?

[/quote']

No. What you would have read if you had clcked on the hysteresis link (Wiki inundates you with these, you can't take the time to click on all of them without completely losing sight of the original inquiry) is that the hysteresis loop is the area inside the B vs H graph, that is, how much applied field do you need to get a particular flux density. The area is proportional to energy. Basically, if the material easily aligns with an external field, little energy is deposited; the extra work you do in causing that alignment shows up as the heat transferred.

To change that area you would have to have a different material in your cooker.