• Protoss
    • Terran
    • Elves
    • Undead
    • Human
    • Orcs
    • What the heck?

Protoss were in SC.

I presume that most SC and WC players would agree with me that Protoss and Undead are both quite good, and nearly even. I prefer Protoss merely because SC allowed 200 food (er, PSI) per tech tree as opposed to WC's 100.

Of course, Protoss and Undead are nearly even because the both have the same great advantage: summoning buildings :P

I don't like undead that much. I much prefer night elf. Although protoss was the best sc race. I remember the big fluffy red guy that could control peoples minds. Then you could control the mind of a worker for another race so you could play all three races. good times.

You can mind-control with WC III (Banshee in UD), but it costs too much money. I remember having overkill money in SC, but WC is much tougher on the resources...

Night Elves are cool, especially thanks to the hide ability and the moonwells, but I got used to the advantage of UD being able to get buildings up the quickest (or, more buildings up in a given time period, though the buildings take just as long).

Dark Archon is correct.

Much more useful than the Banshee in WCIII.

That's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Banshees are in a totally different game, one where armies are much smaller and stealing an enemy unit has a much greater impact.

Also, Dark Archons are pretty useless against a skilled terran player who knows how to micromanage his Science Vessels. EMP = the scourge of Protoss (and particularly Archons) everywhere, and it is too easy to use.

You can mind-control with WC III (Banshee in UD), but it costs too much money. I remember having overkill money in SC, but WC is much tougher on the resources...

Tough resources really depends on what map you're playing on. Blizzard made it a point to combat money maps on the Warcraft 3 ladder because a) it kind of defeats the point of economic management if you have nearly unlimited supplies of resources, and b) it unnecessarily prolongs the game.

Big Game Hunters was the epitome of money map madness in Starcraft, and games on that map could last several hours trying to wear your opponent down through attrition. You'll notice that Big Game Hunters and other money maps are not used in Starcraft tournaments.

The reason I don't like Banshees nearly as much is because (I believe) Possession kills off the Banshee.

Dark Archons, on the other hand, just needed to wait for more mana.

And you're right that Science Vessels are the scourge of Protoss- when I started really thinking about strategy, I realized that Science Vessels are probably some of the best Terran Units (assuming you're not against Zerg). EMP, Irradiate, and Defensive Matrix are all extremely useful if you're willing to micromanage a bit.

But my favorite trick is to get a bunch of Arbiters and Recall a huge force :P.

• 5 months later...

Gotta love them Protoss. They have the strongest units in the game, oh and those carriers are just.....brilliant

Zerg are next in line becouse of theri mass production capabilities......bloody hell, i can make a detachement of hydralisks in less than 45seconds.

Also

Protess carriers were too slow. The Protoss race has certainly got good technology and is certainly powerful but most of its units are expensive. The race you choose depends on what sort of map you're playing in. A mineral-scarce map requires Zergs.

I can't use the protoss. Their units are too expensive, and take forever to manufacture. Also, most of the time, you need a lot of them, or any group of devourers/mutalisks or valkeries/wraiths will absolutely destroy them. Dragoons are good, like the Protoss version of Hydralisks, but again, they aren't that great. I do like the Dark Archons, however, becasue they can steal enemy drones. But again, they are expensive.

Also scouts are good AA Units.

It's true that protoss take long to manufacture units but take it into account that one Zealot can take up many marines and many Zerglings before getting killed.

12 Zealots is a much stronger fighting force than 12 Hydralisks

Also scouts are good AA Units.

in my opinion, the best all around air unit.

It's true that protoss take long to manufacture units but take it into account that one Zealot can take up many marines and many Zerglings before getting killed.

True, but air forces and ultralisks make short work out of the strictly ground based melee zealots. Zerglings are useless to me unless I am using them to cause some form of distraction while my hydras,ultras and defilers dominate the ground attacks. however 2 things I fear are seige tanks in seige mode, large groups of zealots (the best way to use them, IMO) and science vessels.

12 Zealots is a much stronger fighting force than 12 Hydralisk

True again, pound for pound this is true, but no one, especially not myself, would send off 12 of the same units without some backup.

I love talking strategy, especially starcraft strategy. :)

but no one' date=' especially not myself, would send off 12 of the same units without [i']some[/i] backup.

True

the 12Vs12 was only a comparison

Ofcourse Zealots need some air cover so i usually combine them with some dragoons.

So my basic protos strategy is like this:

1st wave of the attack consitsts mostly of Air units (Carriers with some fighter cover)

2nd wave usually consists of Zealots and dragoons and some observers (to kill of the burried zergs)

3rd wave are only small raiding parties for search and destroy missions. Of course when they find a base they call upon air and ground support

This worked good in most cases when played against the Zerg. Failed me only a couple of times. Ofcourse if this is necessary this strategy can be adapted to implement hit and run attacks before the main attack to weaken the enemy and possibly minimize losses.

the 12Vs12 was only a comparison

Yeah, I know. Sorry about going on a tangent like that :).

Of course Zealots need some air cover so i usually combine them with some dragoons.

Of course reevers help with base attacks as well, but when I try and use the protoss, I end up not using these as much.

So my basic protos strategy is like this:

1st wave of the attack consitsts mostly of Air units (Carriers with some fighter cover)

2nd wave usually consists of Zealots and dragoons and some observers (to kill of the burried zergs)

3rd wave are only small raiding parties for search and destroy missions. Of course when they find a base they call upon air and ground support

Good strategy, but I find when I use carriers they get destroyed easily. I guess they are intended more for air-to-air support with scouts and arbiters more than anything. But then again, I find the protoss difficult to use, so I may not know well. I do know that they seem to have the best all-around air force in the game. I see a good air approach as arbiters can use stasis field to get rid of a lot of grouped units, then send in the scouts, maybe corsairs to cast some spells and support, carriers to cause mass confusion and damage with all those crazy little ships and use the drained arbiters for support and its a fool-proof air strike.

This worked good in most cases when played against the Zerg. Failed me only a couple of times. Ofcourse if this is necessary this strategy can be adapted to implement hit and run attacks before the main attack to weaken the enemy and possibly minimize losses.

Hit and run is a good way to go with the protoss, it seems, as their attacks are powerful, but they are often expensive to losing a lot of units means losing a lot of time, gas a minerals. With the zerg, I use a Flood approach: uprgade then send in massed hydras, lurkers, mutas and ultras and defilers.

Yeah, I know. Sorry about going on a tangent like that :).

No problem :D

Of course reevers help with base attacks as well, but when I try and use the protoss, I end up not using these as much.

Reevers are good for destroying building and large concentrations of zergs such as hydralisks and zerglings

I usually place them in my primary defense lines to kill of masses of zergs. But i rarely use them for attack as they are slow, difficult to operate and they need constant surveliance preventing them to run out of scarabs.

But they are good for destroying the enemies primary defensive line which will minimize losses amongst the attacking troops

Hit and run is a good way to go with the protoss, it seems, as their attacks are powerful, but they are often expensive to losing a lot of units means losing a lot of time, gas a minerals. With the zerg, I use a Flood approach: uprgade then send in massed hydras, lurkers, mutas and ultras and defilers.

Yes, hit and run is good to use with the protoss troops but i usually use this strategy to starve the enemy to death or forcing him to come out and face my carefully prepared defenses.

The first thing i do is camp at his gate (This only applies for the map Sherwood forest as this is one that i play the most) and prepare defenses.

Then cut off any possible escape route using stationary defenses, after that it's up to him. He usually chooses to try to break out but he was rearly succesfull.

The zerg thing.

I also use flood, but only hydralisk as they are multi function units (STA and STS capabilities)

I think the protoss and zerg strategies have been pretty much exhausted.

Anyone have a good strategy for terrans as i pretty much suck at playing with those.