Entry Level Science Jobs?

alt_f13

I have just gradded out of secondary school and would like to find a job where I can be around science (physics and cutting edge engineering mainly) R&D.

I imagine there are clerical and go-fer jobs somewhere out there in areas like this.

I would like to know where I should be looking for jobs like this and if they are common enough to make an attempt at finding. Also, what kind of entry level opportunities are available at R&D firms etc? I have computer/internet graphics experience and manufactoring and warehouse experience, if that helps.

I plan on studying physics and engineering later on, and wouldn't mind being a shoe-in after graduation. I am very open to career possibilities as long as it's in an area with the potential at advancing society.

As well as entry level positions I am interested in anything I sound suited for, now or after further education. Employment now is what I need, however, because I do not have the resources to go directly into school.

Can anyone offer me any tips?

well, right off the bat, i would say check out the national labs. They have alot of employees and they deal with some pretty cool stuff. Of course, i only have experience with the US national labs, i don't realy know where you are from, but the that would be a start.

As far as emplymen vs. school goes, at least in the US, most universities will pay you to get your Ph.D. I am a Ph.D. student at the university of california at san diego, and here is the deal i got...

free health and dental

tuition waved

$21,000 a year

so you have to live just above the poverty level, but it isn't all that bad really. Just something to think about. As long as you are a phd guy, school is pretty economically fesable :D

LOL! yeah some of the undergrads can be kinda annoying :P

esp the ones that come to you like 6 weeks after the quarter and want to know if they can get their grade upped! I am like WTF?!?!?!?! go gotta be kidding me! arrrrgggg!

Anyways, it all depends on the program you are in. In mine you are required to TA for four quarters while you are in school. That is it. Of course your advisor might make you do more. If you don't want to TA then you just gotta pick an advisor with lotsa $$$$ then you are home free. And some of the prgrams (engineering for one) people do not have to TA at all! crazy!

Personally, i dont mind TAing a for a couple quarters. it helps to nail down some subject by teaching them :)

but yeah, some undergrads can be annoying :P

Most Universities will pay you to get a Ph.D.? How does this work? I'm really not sure on how any of the graduate programs work; do they only pay for the students who graduated at the top of the class? Would someone please fill me in? Thanks.

Also, what does TA stand for?

Most Universities will pay you to get a Ph.D.?

Yes, at least most of the universities in the US will, as long as you are getting your Ph.D. in a science. In alot of the other diciplines (liberal arts, history, ect.) they either do not pay you, or do not pay you as much.

How does this work?

Well, you go to school and they pay you to do it. There are basically two reasons why they do this.

First, in most universities, you have to teach courses at least for part of the time you are there. So they are paying to teach (and what they pay you is cheap for a university educator, so they are really getting educators on the cheap)

Second, you do research why you are their. SO they are paying you for your research. Again, paying someone 21,000 a year to do research is very cheap. I was making about 30,000 dollars in science even before i got my bachelors, just working as an intern.

So while you are at the university, you take a HUDGE pay cut, from what you would make should you be working in the real world. In exchange, they teach you some cool stuff and give you a degree.

I'm really not sure on how any of the graduate programs work; do they only pay for the students who graduated at the top of the class? Would someone please fill me in? Thanks.

Hopefully i just filled you in. HOwever, if you want more information, feel free to ask :D

It's not like that in US medical school. You typically pay far more per year medical tuition than undergrad. However if you're accepted into an MD/PhD program, both medical school and graduate school are fully payed for, as well as a stipend for living expenses.