Congratulations to the author, any connection?

these just posted on arxiv in the Representation Theory and Category Theory departments. Anyone we know?

http://arxiv.org/abs/math.RT/0601578

Bousfield localization in quotients of module categories

Matthew Grime

11 pages

Representation Theory; Category Theory

"We examine various triangulated quotients of the module category of a finite group. We demonstrate that these are not compactly generated by the simple modules and present a modification of Rickard's Idempotent Module construction that accounts for this. When the localizing subcategories are sufficiently nice we give an explicit description of the objects in the Bousfield triangles for modules that are direct limits of sequences of finite dimensional modules in terms of homotopy colimits."

===============

http://arxiv.org/abs/math.CT/0601575

Triangulated categories as quotients of exact categories

Matthew Grime

16 pages

Category Theory; Representation Theory

"We give a general construction of triangulated categories as quotients of exact categories where the exact structure is picked out by a triple of functors (F,L,R). This subsumes the stable category of a module category, and the homotopy category of any abelian category. In the case when we quotient out an exact structure on an abelian category to obtain the stable category we also define a related derived category. We prove that the quotient of the bounded derived category by the perfect complexes is equivalent as a triangulated category to the stable category, generalizing a result of Rickard's."

If you look at my sig there is a link to my webpages where versions of those papers have been around for a year or two. There is a copy of my thesis too which gives more results in that area if you want to read it (tate cohomology, virtual subcategories, induction as a faithful functor between stable categories under some conditions). Why is it surprising or noteworthy?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
your last name is really 'grime'?

Grime, more prevalent in Northern England (also as Grimes) than the south, a corruption from the Scandinivian Grimm, literally meaning masked, referring to Odin's disguised forms in nature. Features in place names such as Grimsby, Grimethorpe, etc, and cognate with Grimm, Grimes, Grimley, Grimbley amongst others.

For what it's worth, Matt, short for Matthew, means Gift of Jehovah, so I think I have a reasonable claim on the most 'deific' name around.