How real are the laws of physics in your dream.

For example could you be doing an scientific experiment in your dream and get a result although you didn't know that result when you went to sleep.

Also why can't we find/remember this data.

example: you can dream about:

waving hair in the wind

stars in the night sky.

glass scattering

walking in sand

etc.

It will al be believable represented.

But if you ask someone that is awake to describe such event they usually are very poorly not even taking natures laws in account.

How much is a dream like a movie playing and how much is it really 'calculating' based on laws.

Is my brain powerfull enough to calculate waving hair in the wind?

This raises an other question how fast is time going during your dream?

is 1min. real time about 6sec dream time? so the brain has time to calculate everything?

Something else: pinching your arm to know if you are awake or not is a myth that isn't true. I tested it you just feel the pain and the dream goes on.

Why is it so hard to stay in the dream when you start to realize that it is a dream?

Well this message is much longer than what I planned, sorry about that. :)

Dogs, porpoises, and octopi have all exhibited behavior which seems to be dreaming. If they have enough brainpower to experience running, barking, or swimming, then our dreams could easily be a great deal more technically correct.

Also if talking in sleep is relative to dream speed it would seem we dream at about normal experience speed.

People who lucid dream are able to fly and run at incredible speeds. There doesn't seem to be any physics boundries in dreams. Just my observations.

Just aman

Well, obviously some dreams bend the boundaries of physics. My recurring flight dream (doesn't everyone have one?) is obviously breaking some rules.

It is interesting though when you think about things following physical laws in dreams. Of course, this should probably be expected, because we live in a world governed by natural laws.

Whats interesting is that someties the brain (at least mine) does actually seem to be logically working through things in dreams. I remember one time last semester I woke up in the middle of the night knowing that I missed a problem on my calculus exam, and also knowing why I missed it. It was one of those problems where you know you're doing something wrong while you're working it, but you just can't figure out what. I remember later in the day I was thinking about it and I couldn't figure it out.

It was quite strange. So from personal experience, I'd say the brain does consider physical laws while in the dream states.

When you say "calculating hair blowing in the wind" it brings to mind a computer crunching raw numbers to calculate the position of each portion of the hair. I don't think this is the way the brain works. When you catch a baseball you are not calculating the trajectory, derivatives, and slopes in your head. Most people can still catch a ball with reasonable acccuracy. I can sit here and picture long hair blowing in the wind, but I'm not "calculating" anything.

A few times I`ve woken up with the answer to a problem I`de been workin on and "couldn`t" solve, other times I`ve had dreams that when tested in reality give remarkable results also, but I`m fairly confident that given time, I could have consciously have worked this out myself anyway (even though I wasn`t able to at the time) I suspect it`s a bit like when you try to remember something that you KNOW you know (name of an actor that played in whatever) but you just can`t remember it, so you forget it for a while, then suddenly BAM it hits you in the supper market in the vegetable section :)

Then there`s other 99$ of the time when dreams are just utter garbage and merely just entertainment value while you lie there doing nothing :)

When you catch a baseball you are not calculating the trajectory, derivatives, and slopes in your head. Most people can still catch a ball with reasonable acccuracy. I can sit here and picture long hair blowing in the wind, but I'm not "calculating" anything.

I don't think the brain is capable of calculating that but I will play the devils advocate.

How do you know your brain isn't calculatiing it if you only see/realize the end result??

I do think that the basic calculations of the brain are derivatives.

YT2095 wrote:

Then there`s other 99$ of the time when dreams are just utter garbage and merely just entertainment value while you lie there doing nothing

lying there doing notting, 99$ time, just entertainment value. all this in the same sentence.

You are lucky that blike didn't kick you from the forum :D

well, maybe you meant 99% ;)

• 1 month later...

I don't think your brain is calculating things while you sleep, to get accurate laws of physics and all that. It can't be, unless you know how to. And I for one, would not know how to do any of that stuff, so my subconcious doesn't know it either. I think you just get used to being pulled down, and the wind having certain effects on things, so in your dreams, often times things will be that way.

One time, when I was really little, I remember like being stuck in a dream. I was having some kind of tea party, lol, and I really really wanted to wake up, but couldn't. It was really scary. And often times, in dreams, I'll try to run really fast, or fly or something, and just can't. I get really frustrated, and probably wake up around that time. It's like my legs are moving so slowly and I can't run. Odd.

As to the time factor, I heard that dreams were alot faster than real life, and sometimes I'll hit the snooze alarm in the morning before school, and fall back asleep and have a real elaborate dream, half of which I can't remember, between alarms.

that whole pinching your arm thing, doesnt work, becuase when im dreaming, im not in control :/ and i cant just suddently say, hey i should pinch my arm and see if this is a dream, it all just gets shot at me the dream,

the scary ones are the ones where you are gonna die, and you are actually thinking, god dammit i know im not gonna die becuase its a dream, god but what if i do, AH WAKE UP PLEASE! but i still dont feel i have the power to say, oket instead i will pinch my arm

dreams are strange things, fasanating :|

i also dont think time is different n all that , altho it is wierd how 5 minutes in a dream can be a 8 hour sleep, but i guess the 7 hours 55minutes is just dreaming that you never remember...

i don't remember any of my dreams except 3

one was about monsters that i was afraid of, but it wasn't in any way a nightmare. i think the physics in that were pretty real

another one was me being yoshi in mario land...

another was me being chased by a bunch of cute zoo animals that were extremely trickey and extremely hungry for my blood. that is the only nightmare i remember, and was the last nightmare i ever had... about 10 years ago. the physics in that were pretty real, even though the animals couldn't see me hiding under a small table

about the subconscious calculation thing...

your subconscious mind is actually able to calculate these physics things and does so all the time (almost constantly). it doesn't calculate it through equations, just recognizing and analyzing patterns. you can catch a baseball, but that isn't calculating physics equations, that is subconscious pattern recognition, and has just as much accuracy as calculating physics equations.

I`de like to meet the idiot that started that dreadfull rumor that "If you die in your dreams , you actualy die in real life" !!!

what an utter load of crap!

I mean did someone actualy come back from the dead to tell him???

*Sheesh*! utter nonsense!

and Muffin, next time you have a dream like that, wait until you wake up from it, and have a look if your legs are tangled in the sheets, or your too hot/cold or need the loo. 9 times out of 10 it`s bodys way of waking you to something that needs attention, and since you`re busy "tripping" in dream land, what a better way to get your attention!?

thats all it is :)

YT2095 said in post #10 :

I`de like to meet the idiot that started that dreadfull rumor that "If you die in your dreams , you actualy die in real life" !!!

what an utter load of crap!

I mean did someone actualy come back from the dead to tell him???

*Sheesh*! utter nonsense!

I hope he is joking with 'The Matrix'

Of course it isn't true I should be dead a 100 times by now (probably more). LOL

I do wake up though when I die (of course because the movie lost its main actor ;)

I've done lots of tests in my dreams. I have lucid dreams. Iv'e picked things up to see if they are 3D or not. I've fallen from great heights, and hit the floor, I just broke all my bones, and had a jelly-like body. I've pinched myself, but I felt it so that didn't help. I've walked around the block in my dream to check out the differences between a walk in a dream, and a walk in real life. In my dream there were far less sounds, but the rest of it was perfect. As for solving problems in your sleep, well I think that we multi-task, and have subroutines running all the time. So we can solve things in our subconcious.

Pincho.

Hi Pincho,

So you are aware that you dream a lot of the time?

Could you do an experiment for me and try to overload the visual process center.

with the end result to wake yourself up on command.

how? by choosing to look at different things fast, the more new objects/details you see the better.

disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any headaches ;)

and while you`re at it, do an experiment for me too, try to see if you can watch TV in your dream, and maybe the winning lottery numbers. I only ask that because I had a similar dream that had numbers in it, my wife put them on a lotto ticket, the 4 numbers I mentioned came up, we won 10 pounds :)

don`t forget to share it with the old YT if it works! :)

I also dreamed about the lottory numbers and they were all correct !!!!

(a pity that I dreamed it after that they published the right numbers ;)

Serious:

any thoughs about how good other persons in your dream are modeled?

(personality, etc)

There is little sound in my dreams, a few lines of word, probably less than Arnold Schwartzenegger had in Terminator! LOL! So not much room for personality there. Most of my thoughts seem to work properly though. I can have a coherent conversation with my inner self.

Pincho.