Medical school and career..

grayfalcon89

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. According to what I hear, MCAT is not an easy test to take (difficulty) and you have to do *quite decent* to get into medical school from college. So, why don't I just find a way that will get me to qualify earlier so I don't have to worry about it?

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to do a degree before you get into medicine, this will give you time to prepare for gamsat or MCAT (whatever the test is that you have to do), as well as get in the uni lifestyle.It is very difficult but you can pass it with a decent amount of preparation.

The hardest part is the interview.

good luck with it all.

You will have to do a degree before you get into medicine' date=' this will give you time to prepare for gamsat or MCAT (whatever the test is that you have to do), as well as get in the uni lifestyle.It is very difficult but you can pass it with a decent amount of preparation.

The hardest part is the interview.

good luck with it all.[/quote']

I agree 100%. Yes, I think most accelerated programs require you to take MCAT after your acceptance and your MD will be given after you completed the whole program.

I'm nervous about interview as well. Luckily, I live in a big state so I might have many options to go to (most have common things though.. high GPA (got it), high SAT (uh.. need to work on it; I can get 800 on math EASILY but CR and Writing hurt me pretty bad), and interview..)

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. According to what I hear, MCAT is not an easy test to take (difficulty) and you have to do *quite decent* to get into medical school from college. So, why don't I just find a way that will get me to qualify earlier so I don't have to worry about it?

Quite right.

Here's what I did...

While you're dilly-dallying around and passing the MCAT, you might enroll in some online credit courses. I did Harvard online 4 credits in neuroscience - the credits carry the same weight as if you had actually attended on-campus classes. I am now in Penn State doing the same thing with physiology 4 credits. I don't waste valuable time. I finished a tough class in the top 5%. This can be a tremendous boost to your academic career.

You are wise to ask what you can be doing. My Harvard professor would agree. If you want neuroscience at Harvard, say hello to my professor, Dr. Shawn Murphy, PhD. when you enroll :-]

zeropoint

• 2 weeks later...
Quite right.

Here's what I did...

While you're dilly-dallying around and passing the MCAT' date=' you might enroll in some online credit courses. I did Harvard online 4 credits in neuroscience - the credits carry the same weight as if you had actually attended on-campus classes. I am now in Penn State doing the same thing with physiology 4 credits. I don't waste valuable time. I finished a tough class in the top 5%. This can be a tremendous boost to your academic career.

You are wise to ask what you can be doing. My Harvard professor would agree. If you want neuroscience at Harvard, say hello to my professor, Dr. Shawn Murphy, PhD. when you enroll :-']

zeropoint

Here:

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2005-06/courses/mdsc.jsp

There are very many courses.. But I'm not sure which one I should choose and how much it will help me. Since you're on PSU, did you go through the Early Acceleration Program? I think that's 7 or 8 year program for medicine. That's what I'm trying to do. Anyway, do taking Harvard class help me? I don't know if I'll do this.. It sounds very attempting but I really need to get good grade on SAT AND maintain good GPA. Currently, I have one B due to English class but I still have 8 weeks to make it up (AND I NEED TO!! I HATE THAT CLASS!!!!)

It's pretty hard to get very good job on SAT though.. :confused: (sigh)

• 7 years later...

Becoming a medical doctor is extremely difficult, I too am a sophmore student, and like you, struggle with English. For now, I must say that it is better to focus

on the present and aim at getting excellent grades.. Medical school comes after University, which in turn, comes after secondary education. Now, I am assuming

you are 15, and with that said Medical school is way down the road. I myself try not to think of the qualms of getting into med school, and do my very best in the present.

That is the advice I give to you.

P.S. Nearly all state medical schools are good, they only accept 300 or so applicants of the 3000 that apply. That is a 10% acceptance rate...

Hell, here are the statistics regarding marks at UBC medical school ( the school I want to get admission in.. hopefully).

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/12/Interim-Statistics-2012-13-MED-2017.pdf