Sleepless...

Illuminati

This is an odd problem I sometimes have that some of you may have as well.

Certain nights I am kept from sleep, I know I need to sleep but my mind won't let me, and not for any particular serious problem, not like insomnia or nervousness from facing the next day.

No, normally when I'm kept from sleep, it's because I can't stop thinking. If I have had a particularly inspiring day or when I have a eurika day, I can't get to sleep for atleast two hours after I want to. My brain is riddled with thoughts and concepts, for instance, when I thought of a couple experimental designs for aircraft, I was thinking about them and how they would/could work in the real world. Or when I had an idea for a zombie survival videogame, I was thinking of the concept and design of the game and couldn't get a wink of sleep till I felt all problems and black spots were resolved.

Now, my question is, does anyone else have this problem? Or am I just weird. :rolleyes:

I have this problem quite often. When I start thinking about something I go through a large process of ideas and consequences. I can't sleep until this is done, it's very late, like 4 or 5 in morning, or I write or post something about it. I used to think it was caffiene or insomnia but I realized that I was thinking too much to sleep. This can get pretty annoying.

Yes this used to happen to me pretty often too. Sometimes I felt my brain "overheated" and I started to "hear" this faint ringing sound... In the end I decided that the best thing I could do to be able to fall asleep is to either write down my ideas concisely like in bullet points or sribbling them really quickly would help me.

Like what has been said, writing the stuff down and flushing it out always helps me. Or stay up last posting. My bro plays cod and he's pretty good. I tried it once and I was ok. His name is xenocide or something. It's a fun game I guess... But playing vid games keeps me up so I try not to do that. Sometimes the sleepless is unavoidable. When I do my running or gym at like 5 o clock (at night) that usually helps. Closer to bed and I just get riled up and overactive in the brain and body. It sucks to not be able to sleep when you want to. Sleep is a weird thing - you can't control it very well, just like happens, can't control thoughts in it and it's very mysterious. One of many things I have thought when trying to sleep. many...

I used to have this and did some googling.

Took up meditation. Try it.

Actually, I was big into meditation last year.

Heh, if you get good at it like I was, you could do some crazy things with your mind, it was a serious trip, lol.

Perhaps I should get back into it. :D

You could always try reading an extremely boring book until you fall asleep.

By the way, has anybody tried to "realize" that very last second before you fall asleep? TIt's an incredibly effective way to NOT be able to fall asleep because whenever you "feel" you are about to fall asleep you prevent yourself from actually doing so...

By the way, has anybody tried to "realize" that very last second before you fall asleep? TIt's an incredibly effective way to NOT be able to fall asleep because whenever you "feel" you are about to fall asleep you prevent yourself from actually doing so...

Never tried that one, however, when I'm on the verge of sleep, I can, for some reason, create music in my head that sounds like a real symphony orchestra. I suppose you could call it a pre-sleep dream, I create what I want to hear in my head then I can actually hear it. It's so weird.

I've also read in some of my meditation books that you can have an out of body experience by staring onto one focal point and "changing your viewpoint to that object". I've never tried it, although it certainly sounds interesting.