Bigfoot: Fact or Fiction

herpguy

Do you think bigfoot (sasquatch, yetti, yowie, you know what I'm talking about) exists? Why or why not? Post your thoughts on bigfoot here!

As for me, I think he's real. There may not be any proof of him, but there is no proof that he doesn't exist.

Evidence of bigfoot's existence:

• The Patterson Film is possibly the strongest piece of evidence. It clearly demonstrates a large, ape-like creature. Many people believe it is a fake, but there is no proof of that.

• There are just too many witnesses. So there must be something out there.

• Many people have taken audio and video recordings, along with many photos. Sure, it's easy to see that many of them are fake, but it's very hard to say that every image is not real.

Please consider my thoughts, and post yours.

Peace out,

herpguy

I think that Big Foot is fiction. Finding a new species of animal is very rare now. "A new monkey species has been found in the highland forests of Tanzania. ... is the first new African monkey to be found in more than 20 years." http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn7399

It is resonable to expect that if bigfoot exists, then it would have been found by biologists.

In order for me to really believe something, I need convincing proof. The fact that there's no evidence against it does nothing for me, because there's no evidence against a lot of things (eg. lochness monster or a fish that can speak and slap you)

Your same arguement can be said for ESP and aliens.

There is no conclusive proof against either but at the same time most scientists don't believe in them (and by aliens I mean E.T., not the extraterrestial version of yeast).

People, many people, have claimed to have seen/experienced both. But still, they go the way of pseudoscience, just like Bigfoot should. And, come to think of it, this thread.

As for me, I think he's real.

I conceed:

• In times past, there have been giant apes such as Gigantopithecus
  • Large versions of species we did not expect to exist have been discovered, such as giant feral cats in Australia that were previously presumed to be panthers

However, lacking any kind of hard evidence, as a skeptic I tend to conclude NO.

For enthusiaists of soft evidence however, enjoy this animated GIF:

mk_davis_pgf.gif

There may not be any proof of him, but there is no proof that he doesn't exist.

Yes, nor is there for manticores, vampires, Zeus, griffins, leprichauns, fairies, or unicorns.

Unicorns died out when the essential prerequisite for their capture became extremely rare.;)

On Bigfoot, Yowie etc, my experience tells me yes, but another part says that there should have been far more concrete evidence by now.

In other words, I know the Yowie exists, but I don't expect anyone here to agree with that or believe me.:) (And I don't blame you one bit.)

• 3 weeks later...

Biologically speaking there is no reason why bigfoot could not exist - it could just be another Pongo or Homo, but as others have said, sshurely it would have been found by now.

1st climber: Have you seen the abominable snowman?

2nd climber: Not yeti!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

Sure there's evidence. But all the pictures and movies are so blurry! Why? My theory: bigfoot is out there, and he IS blurry. A blurry monster. Now THAT is scary.

Seriously, though, didn't the guy in the suit in that movie admit it?

Bigfoot, Lochness, all other myths are suggestive superstitions. People see what they want to see, that is why whole legends are based off of a single oversized footprint, or a reflection in the water.

Take Ireland for instance with the legend of the Giant's Causeway. While legends and storytelling have spawned from the 'unexplainable' formations the rocks are in, the scientific explanation is that it was a volcano. The stories still persevere despite scientific explanation. Such goes for Bigfoot. Still, where would we be without such great hoaxes? ;)

Seriously, though, didn't the guy in the suit in that movie admit it?

In one case there was supposed footage that 'proved' bigfoot and the guy came out. Him and his friends screwing around in a gorilla suit and a video camera. This account, however, does not disprove all the other sightings around the world. ...theres hope yet!

The main reason that I doubt the existence of these things is because if they do exist, that means that there has to be a viable population of them and that they must have been there all along.

If that were the case, I would find it incredible that no one has found certifiable evidence in the form of hair, bones, corpses or other artifacts of their presence.

These guys are not spider sized insects deep inside some unexplored cave, they are represented as rather large animals.

There may be places in the world where something like this could be as yet undiscovered, but not inside the continental US.:cool:

In my opinion........

Do you think bigfoot (sasquatch, yetti, yowie, you know what I'm talking about) exists? Why or why not?
I personally don't believe the sasquatch exists, but I do think the possibility is there no matter how slight. More likely I believe that large primates species living unitl quite recently spurned old-world legends, and I also believe that the Orang Pendek could likely be real. An alleged smallish ape could certainly survive undiscivered, I mean look at that new giant chimp that may have been found in Africa, and the ungulate Saola was only found in 1992.

There are almost certainly a vast number of species which we have not yet discovered. Most of these are bacterial, and one is probably not a giant primate. On the other hand, if such a creature did exist, the Himalaya / Rockies would be just where it could remain undiscovered for so long.

I myself dont beleive in bigfoot, just for the fact like someone else said, if they exist, there needs to be a group of them, and sicne they are such a large animal, the complete lack of any bones or other evidence suggests they are not real.

But i bring you this very recent news report. of a "new world" discovered

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18070199-2,00.html

Scientists find 'lost world'

February 07, 2006

Mystery ... a new species off frog found in the 'lost world' / supplied SCIENTISTS have found a "Lost World" in an Indonesian mountain jungle, home to dozens of exotic new species of birds, butterflies, frogs and plants.

"It's as close to the Garden of Eden as you're going to find on Earth," said Bruce Beehler, co-leader of the US, Indonesian, and Australian expedition to part of the cloud-shrouded Foja mountains in West Papua.

Indigenous peoples living near the Foja range, which rises to 2200m, said they did not venture into the trackless area of 3000s km – roughly the size of Luxembourg or the US state of Rhode Island.

The team of 25 scientists rode helicopters to boggy clearings in the pristine zone.

0,10114,5106379,00.jpg

Mystery ... a new species off frog found in the 'lost world' / supplied

"We just scratched the surface," Mr Beehler told Reuters. "Anyone who goes there will come back with a mystery."

The expedition found a new type of honeyeater bird with a bright orange patch on its face, known only to local people and the first new bird species documented on the island in more than 60 years.

They also found more than 20 new species of frog, four new species of butterfly and plants including five new palms.

And they took the first photographs of "Berlepsch's six-wired bird of paradise", which appears in 19th century collections but whose home had previously been unknown.

The bird is named after six fine feathers about 10cm long on the head of the male which can be raised and shaken in courtship displays.

BIRD, BOWER, BERRIES

The expedition also took the first photographs of a golden-fronted bowerbird in front of a bower made of sticks, while he was hanging up blue forest berries to attract females.

It found a rare tree kangaroo, previously unsighted in Indonesia. Mr Beehler said the naturalists reckoned that there was likely to be a new species of kangaroo living in higher altitudes.

The scientists visited in the wet season, which limited the numbers of flying insects. "Any expedition visiting in the dry season would probably discover many more butterflies," he said.

Mr Beehler, who works at Conservation International in Washington, said the area was probably the largest pristine tropical forest in Asia. Animals there were unafraid of humans.

"I suspect there are some areas like this in Africa, and am sure that there are similar places in South America," he said.

Around the world, pristine areas are under increasing threat from expanding human settlements and pollution. A UN meeting in Brazil in March will seek ways to slow the accelerating rate of extinctions.

Mr Beehler said the Indonesian Government was doing the right thing by keeping the area off limits to most visitors – including loggers and mineral prospectors.

The scientists cut two trails about 4km long, leaving vast tracts still to be explored.

SOME PICS

heres soem pics of the new species.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4688330.stm

_41302582_honey_ap416.jpg

_41302580_fatfrog_ap416.jpg

_41302574_wired_ap416.jpg

_41302584_uglyfrog_ap416.jpg

_41302578_echidna_ap416.jpg

_41302576_beehler_ap416.jpg