Isn't life depressing

JustStuit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to change your outlook. I would recommend giving the New Testament a try (why not? What do you have to lose?) but failing that I am sure a lot of people here have some good ideas about uplifting books to read.

Oddly enough I have been reading Kirkegaarde's Fear and Trembling and finding it quite uplifting (but maybe I am odd).

Oddly enough I have been reading Kirkegaarde's Fear and Trembling and finding it quite uplifting (but maybe I am odd).

Kierkegaard is about the only existentialist I like.

A lot of what you are is what you tell yourself. As a simple thought experiment, sit there and tell yourself "I am pathetic... I am pathetic... I am pathetic..." over and over and see what kind of thoughts develop. Next, try telling yourself "I am incredible... I am incredible... I am incredible..." instead. There's a really amazing, palpable juxtaposition between the two experiences.

Evolution has given us brains that like to focus on what's wrong with our lives. We take what's right for granted because focusing on what's right would detract from looking out for problems. Now that we live in a modern, organized society where we aren't constantly under the threat of death, this mode of thinking isn't particularly beneficial. When you're feeling down, try spending some time telling yourself that you're an incredible person (over and over until you believe it) and focusing on everything right in your life that you're thankful for.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest seeing a psychologist.

It's called the sci-fi/fantasy genre... there's no better way to escape from your problems then reading/watching people who have problems a lot bigger then yours set in a fantastical setting.

In the same spirit, you could always work on math problems. Interesting ones, even if someone has solved them already. For instance I just met a problem recently called the knight's tour. Can you find a path around a chess board where a knight hits every square once and then ends where it started? And what about for different size boards?

Or you could always take a crack at Fermat's Last Theorem, though don't expect results, just an occupation of your mind...

I time I remember which always lulls me out of feeling down, is when I had a hideous dead end job, no direction in life and had a series of short meaningless relationships - a year later I was trekking through the Andes with quite literally the world at my feet, having an awesome time. I could of never forseen that I was going to have such great experiences compared to my situation in the previous year.

Sometimes (as long as I stay positive) the mystery of what is coming round the corner is something that really keeps me going.

Just look at it this way. If you were a scientist and you knew something magical is going to happen but there were minor setbacks.. would you stop?

And i have this theory.. dont know how good it sucks.. or maybe it is said before.. by some great person.. but i look at it this way.

if there is no sadness then there is no happiness. coz happiness is when its better than normal. And sadness is when its normal or below normal. So .. if ther is no sadness then happiness is just normal.. and normal is just boring.. So there would be no happiness.

doesnt make sense.. ah well i tried.

It makes perfect sense to me, in the same way that we recognise the properties of light by measuring against dark, right against wrong, moral against imoral. It is the process of haggling over the middle ground that makes discussions fun.

My answer to depression. sleep through it. It always works for me.

Or just think abt it more and make yourself really miserable till you dont have anything else to think abt it.

That works for me too.

Combine them and wahlah.. you have the perfect solution.

I don't know where I read it, but years ago I came across this concept.

"The sky is always blue, sometimes you just can't see it for the clouds."

Look at life from that perspective, and it never seems too bad.:D