Newton's laws violations

cookbeat01

I have some questions,

1. What would happen if newton's first law were violated?

2. What would happen if newton's second law were violated?

3. What would happen if newton's third were violated? Also, what would happen if forces were not equal in magnitude and acted in the same direction?

I know that in Newton's third law were violated, the conservation of momentum would not be valid. Please don't answer by talking about the conservation of momentum.

The world wouldn't be how it is today.

How would they be violated in this hypothetical and impossible world of yours? Would F=ma become F=2ma or F=(1/2)ma ??? Big difference.

And what is the point in theorising if the universe was totaly different what it would be like... it could be like anything you could possibly imagine.

F=2ma is equivalent to F=ma if you just change your units, since both just mean force varies as mass times acceleration. Now, if you were to change it to F=(m^2)a or something....

Sorry, I'm enjoying be a jerk today. Your point is still true.

Measured with what units? You're talking about quantities of different things, so they're only "equal" in terms of agreed upon units. I could pick any arbitrary unit for an amount of force, for example, and it could still be true depending on what coefficient I use. The expression "F=ma" is either assuming what units you're using (although that isn't expressed), or it really means "varies as" instead of "is equal to." So there.

• 3 weeks later...

It is circular reasoning. One newton is defined as the force required to produce an acceleration of one metre per second squared in a mass of one kilogramme. Changing Newton's second law would change the definition of a newton, in such a way as [math]F=ma[/math] still held.

I have some questions' date='

1. What would happen if newton's first law were violated?

2. What would happen if newton's second law were violated?

3. What would happen if newton's third were violated? Also, what would happen if forces were not equal in magnitude and acted in the same direction?

[/quote']

Just look at any experiment in which quantum effects are manifest. Then you'll see what happens when all of Newton's laws are violated.