code - can you figure it out?

Connor

Alrighty, I've lost my freakin' program switching to a new computer, and I'm trying to find a good compiler. I'm trying to use JCreator, which was excellent before, but now I just can't figure it out. Anyone have suggestions along those lines?

By the way the text is from Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis

It's the opening lines, I'm not sure how far it goes in, and the punctuation may be off, as it was a rough program I wrote

Yeah, and if happen to figure out how the code works, put some encoded text up and I'll tell you if it's right

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a code that I've been posting for a while all over, and thus far, no one has solved it. I want to see if anyone can solve it here. Here it is:

23574 01583 26102 35271 68257 10948 84571 09668 63529 59845 78739 12225 10929 60572 74826 25032

It's possible. Don't worry. And if you want a longer ciphertext, just tell me, and I'll give it to you. It does have substitution used, but it isn't simple substitution. Ok then. Good luck!!

PS: Please PM me if you think you have it, so everyone has a chance. And explain how you got it please.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well let's see here. It starts with a period and it ends with a period. It has symbols in it, which leads me to believe that it must be a keyboard-based algorithm. And the space must stand for something other than a space and some other symbol must stand for a space. Other than that, you are on your own.

However, there are ' and there are ", which requires the shift button, yet there are no capital letters and no other symbols which require the shift button, which makes it a lot more complicated. How do you even get your underline _ to come out like an elongated hyphen -? Surely, this is a hoax meant to waste everyone's time. :)

....Ok... umm, about my code... I lost the key. Can't find that stupid sheet of paper. But I kind of have to thank myself that I still have a copy of some of my longer encryptions, and remember the encryption technique, so I have to solve my OWN codes... Kind of embarrassing... But don't worry. I'll rebuild it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Got my key back... Hehe... :D Took me a little while, but now I have it again. I also had an advanced version, but I can't find that one either, but I can rebuild it now that I have the key. So anyone want a go?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'll have a go later but

code.jpg

It IS pretty complicated, but there doesn't seem to be too much ciphertext... If I had some more, I may have a go at it, but from what I've seen, there's absolutely no way anyone could solve it, although I did analyze it a bit. (Of course, I couldn't make any conclusions about them...)

1) The first symbol is unlike the rest. It's too linear to be part of the ciphertext as a letter. The size is also much too big. This must be an indicator of a variant of your cipher, so you know which text to use to solve it.

2) The second symbol is very similar to the last with a minor difference. This must mean that either (a) they are two very similar letters, but not the same, or (b) they are the same letter using two different symbols, which is quite common to throw people off. Regardless, this doesn't help much.

3) There are four symbols in the text that are similar in the way that they use the pattern of four adjacent circles. Only two are similar enough to say that they are the same symbol, whereas the other two are much too different to draw anything from them. This might be true, though, with the second fact above, that all four of them (though very unlikely) are the same letter once again, but a more common one to use four symbols for substitution.

4) There are two symbols in the text that look like two ellipses seperated by a line. I would say that these two were also the same symbol, but the main difference between the two is the length of the line that seperates the ellipses. Therefore, these two symbols must be different letters.

5) Finally, there are four very different symbols that are extremely different from the others, indicating that either (a) they are very rare letters that occur in the English alphabet, thus their rare shapes in the ciphertext, or (b) they are four seperate, equally occurring letters.

Even though with the deductions above, there is still insufficient text to be able to effectively solve the text. I couldn't even hazard a guess without much more, because any phrase could fit into the text quite simply without any substitution at all. Additionally, the symbols might not represent letters at all, but words. However, if this is the case, it would double in its impossibility to solve because of the range of words in the English language.

So currently, I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly and say that it is impossible to solve. Sorry, but I won't waste my effort.

• 1 year later...

modern ciphers actually get round that quite easily. a statistical analysis on a peice of ciphertext will usually reveal all characters to occur more or less equally.

for instance,

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Use GnuPG with Firefox : http://getfiregpg.org (Version: 0.7.7)

jA0EAwMCyuyUECcbNb5gya5as+CejqRsZ5HpV8nZGWNs9s/2idUc150AJru9FKcc
1ClyQygn6I5X30AqBUZ3su94bYJWWOvX6rqvZ1KJ1/zfcfRpb+0m2AoHQ56qRAJV
PdEEwzCEfBikV5CClrt93cNsPEz/vjj7kPtHWd4vJaZAnfKwVMSeDsLq+N5pxXT3
jitunlPPRFx+gSlQFsgwCnXM+5v7hZDkhR4DmuqZA42WUwSoBBjaMkRFbkg3Ju8=
=DaRc
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

this is your post encrypted using firegpg's symmetric encryption(not sure what cipher it didn't give me a choice, AES is my guess) and the key is 'key' so you can check it and see if you want.

the only way to break that encryption would be to bruteforce it if you knew the encryption method. and as the key is short, it wouldn't take to long either.

• 2 years later...

Looking at it, I got the impression it was not a substitution cipher of any kind.

It looks like the letters are legitimate, so I'm thinking that it's a transposition cipher (that's where the plaintext is moved around, like shuffling cards).

It also looks like there's extra letters added.