Ammonia Crystals?

jowrose

I recently tried using ammonia as a reactant for a reaction (no reaction occurred), and placed the test tube in my homemade storage box/ fume hood. The next day, some what crystals had formed at the top of the test tube. I am almost sure that no reaction occurred (at least in the test tube), as I have gotten these same crystals with other ammonia experiments. They are perfectly white, and have a texture almost like that of a feather. Does anyone know what these crystals are?

What was contained in the test tube and what else was present in the fume hood? I can assure you that the crystals aren't ammonia because ammonia is a gas at STP and would not crystalize under any conditions one would find inside their home lab. :D

I know, I was doing some research and found it takes massive amounts of pressure to get a solid (or -75 degrees C)... Not something I could create in my basement... I believe there were small amounts of HCl gas, but other than that I would think water vapor would be the only contaminant. I will take a look though and make sure.