Welcome to new research

gala34

Hello. My name is Gala. I am doing a research on CMC (computer mediated communication) Will you please be so kind as to continue the following sentece ()write 5-6 sentences):

"When I think about a computer, I imagine myself....

P.S. I have already collected answers of Russian users. It will be interesting to compare them with yours. Thank you very much in advance.

"When I think about a computer, I imagine myself touching myself non-stop until a white viscuous liquid is expelled"

just kidding.

anyway "When I think about a computer, I imagine myself downloading whatever's possible"

When I think about a computer, I have a mental image of all the hardware as it appears in my computer and I think about work, games, email (& IM ie. communication incl. this forum), internet, movies, music, programming, security (ie. firewalls/hacking, AV/viruses, spyware etc.)... basically everything!

When I think of a computer, I think of the growth of intellegent machines that eventually enslave the human race. (I'm not kidding, either, it's just my initial though process at work, even though I'm usually more realistic then that.)

This is great. I couldn't even imagine that 14 people would be so nice as to spend some minutes on my question.Thanks a lot. Eagerly waiting for more replies. With best regards, gala.

Oh and gala, I think we would all appreciate it if you could post some of the Russian responses you got. :)

I have many of them.

O.K. I will translate some of them from Russian into English

1. When I didn’t have a computer I imagined it like smth unusual. But now when I have it, I got used to it and perceive it like a usual “machine”. I used to spend 3-5 hours sitting in chats and now I use it for my work and just for listening to music.

2. I imagine programmers and accountants who spend days and nights sitting at a computer. Poor things!

3. That I am involed in the world circulation of information.

4. I imagine myself sitting and printing, also a big Bill Gate’s corporation; how far the technology went; a man in glasses, who is constantly sitting at a computer.

5. I magine my working place where my computer stands, also I am thinking that nowadays computers penetrated into all spheres of human life, they ease our work, make it quicker, more comfortable, but there are some dangers, namely computer addiction.

In case there are no more answers to my question in this thread can I ask some more new questions? If yes, shall I edit all the questions I am interested in or shall I do it one by one?

I hope you wouldn't mind my asking some more questions:

1. Your first reaction to the word “computer” (fulfil five or more points if you want):

2. What can a computer be compared with? And why?

Thank you very much for your answers. With best wishes, Gala.

I would have thought that Q1 is the same as what everyone has already answered.

Q2: A computer is unique, it can't really be compared to other things.

I spose you could compare it to a games console with lots of extra features, but I wouldn't compare a computer to anything other than a computer.

Seeing Q1 people usually answer: monitor, screen , E-mail, progress...

As for Q2, usually people compare computer with a brain (explaining that it can also think like a man); or a library because you can find everything in Internet.and many other interesting answers

Judging from the answers these questions are different.

Maybe your answers would be the most interesting ones. Who knows?