Exponential problem

EvoN1020v

Hello guys. I was doing my math review in preparation for my Advanced Trigonometry exam, and I encountered this question with a difficulty.

When there were 1000 hares ([math]N_h = 1000e^{kt}[/math]), the number of foxes was increasing so that [math]N_f = 74e^{0.08t}[/math]. How many years will it take for the number of foxes to reach 10% of the number of hares?

I know I have to use the Natural logarithms to solve this question, but I'm not sure what I should do? If you guys can give me hints, that would be great, or I'll have to ask my teacher when I go back to school.

If the foxes' population to be 10% of the original population of hares of 1000, then the population of foxes to be 100.

[math]N_f = (0.1)(N_h)[/math]

[math]N_f = (0.1)(1000)[/math]

[math]N_f = 100[/math]

Then I put the 100 into the foxes' population forumla:

[math]100 = 74e^{0.08t}[/math]

[math]\frac{100}{74} = \frac{74e^{0.08t}}{74}[/math]

[math]ln1.351351351 = lne^{0.08t}[/math]

[math]ln1.351351351 = \frac{0.08tlne}{0.08lne}[/math]

[math]t = \frac{ln1.351351351}{0.08lne}[/math]

[math]t = 3.76381366[/math]

This answer to be 10% of hares' original population. If I am mistaken, please let me know. Thanks. :)

The k represents a constant, so treat it as one. That's my suggestion.

1000e^kt=740e^0.08t

You can solve this for "t", right? I can, and here's my hint: the answer has in the denominator the variable "k."

I don´t think you should have posted the solution Matt. There´s a an error (probably a typo) in your calculation anyways, so perhaps you should consider removing it completely. It´s pretty naive to think people won´t look at solutions when they are given instead of really doing all of the calculation themselves. The question isn´t that hard, anyways and I think the confusion only stems from the free parameter you called a constant (which in fact for calculation terms might be the better way to think of it).

Judging from how you solved the problem with the 10% of the original population I´d say you are missing an important equation for logarithms: ln(x*y) = ln(x)+ln(y).

As a little style-advice: Don´t write things like ln(e), write 1 directly (or skip it if it´s a factor). It makes your calculation much more readable.

@MattC: I´m pretty sure it was a typo. But looking at your result you could have figured out that it couldn´t be correct. I´ll send you a PM. It doesn´t matter whether it is in preparation for an exam or homework. The point is that you don´t learn as much from seeing other people´s solutions as from solving it yourself. And I´m pretty convinced he can solve it himself - there´s not so much possibilities to take logarithms here, anyways.

I'm suprised there was only one typo in my solution. I would have removed it regardless, though - better to just give a hint, like you did. Ah, speaking of typos ... may want to edit that equation fast!