space and time created at the Big Bang

gib65

Is the scientific community in agreement about space and time being created with the Big Bang, or is this just one possible scenario that is still being debated? I mean, I read about the evidence for the Big Bang - namely, the observation that the universe is expanding and echoes from the Big Bang (background radiation) - but these only support the theory that there was an enormous exposion 15 billion years ago (give or take a few billion years). Could there have been space and time before this event? If not, what is the irrifutable evidence that space and time were created with the Big Bang?

Could there have been space and time before this event?
It's impossible to know. Everything in the universe was supposably created in the big bang. In some tv special I watched on the Science Channel, it said everything was inside of a tiny ball held together by gravity. So maybe there was space and time inside of this tiny ball. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm curious about this subject too and I want to know the answers.

It's impossible to know. Everything in the universe was supposably created in the big bang.

Not true, big bang theory explains how all the matter in the universe was very small. But it doesn't give any insight to how that matter got there in the first place (IFAIK).

Agreed, relativity predicts the big bang and a singularity...the transition between the two is where theories like loop quantum gravity come into play.

The singularity is just not feasible...so something has to happen between space-time collapse and space-time inflation.

Not much is known about the big bang itself. It is not proper to say that the big bang created space and time and matter, just that it was the start of the universe as we know it. Where did that energy come from? We dont know. Was there time or space or something else before the big bang? We dont know. What actually caused the big bang. Yeah, we dont know.

Could there have been space and time before this event?

I am of the opinion that space could not have any pre-BB existence, but time may have.

Can't we truthfully say that, " At the BB event the amount of space available to the universe was at a minimum and the amount of time the universe was going to have available to it was at maximum"?

Couldn't we say, that at least on the cosmological scale, time and space could be related to each other in much the same way matter and energy are related to each other, in that the sum of time/space, like the sum of matter/energy is a constant?

aguy2

I see it like this....though i'm not sure if it will make sence,i'm not good at putting thoughts ideas and what ever else that is going through my mind that make pretty good sence to me in writing or conversation..so bare with me :D

It all starts with a infintesimal partical which houses all forces weak and strong.Then at some point it grows unstable and explodes?Space and matter then begin its expansion,but the i think is just part of a cycle.The universe continues to expand not indefinitly.once it reaches its "final point of expansion" it begins collapse back to the infintesimal partical it started out as then repeats.

I wouldnt be surprised is this just sounded like jibberish but its the best i can inturprit what i think.

Hi,

Big-bang was space. It constiututes the space today as well as along with time. So, there is no possiblity that anything could have existed before it. But the question now is -WHAT FORMED THE BIG BANG? WHY DID IT ACTUALLY HAVE TO TAKE PLACE?

gagsrcool

The big bang theory has always captured my fancy. If we state that a small pocket exploded and then came tthe universe. Now , the quewstion of SPACE AND TIME. I think space has always existed and then comes time. Concernin preBB wat trigered it then, we humans dont take things hook line and sinker, we always dwell on the origiin of things , i just dont know y we refused to look at things that way any longer.

Un the universe matter and space are in a permanent dynamic equilibrium.

Universe is a self-renewing system, no beginning, no end.

see more on this web site: relativity - "ATPS Theory" or attached articles

yours, amrit

3. Mathematical Time and Physical Time - EJTP.pdf

5. Active Galactic Nucleus As A Renewing Sistems Of The Universe.pdf

Is the scientific community in agreement about space and time being created with the Big Bang, or is this just one possible scenario that is still being debated?

It is still being debated. In fact, there is no evidence for the creation of space and time at the Big Bang whatsoever. There is evidence for the pattern of events a tiny fraction of a second after the 'big bang' but what happens before this is still unknown (and probably always will be).

Steven Hawking is reported as having said the question "what before the big bang?" is irrelevant. His views are so respected that I dare not disagree, but such an airy dismissal leaves me philosophically discomfitted.

Perhaps he epitomises the pure hard-headed scientific approach that if a theory is provable/disprovable it is worth talking about, and if not, don't waste brain cells on it.

With the present state of knowledge, it seems to me wise to retain an agnostic viewpoint. But even agnostics have their flights of imagination,

and here are two of mine:

1. If time exists only as the result of events, and the pre-big bang phenomenon was inert and eventless, it could have existed for eternity as measured by our present notion of time. That is, we may have to consider pre-bigbang as being without the fourth dimension. Merely one reason why our standard model may be inadequate.

2. The big bang was the result of a catastrophic rearrangement of a previous universe that had become unstable, and we could never know what physical laws then applied.

Good points gcol... I like how you say, "present state of knowledge"...Isn't that the truth? It seems clear to me that our ability to learn has been limited by "what we know". This conundrum won't be solved until someone arrogant enough reworks the entire problem, starting with revising the Laws of Physics...It will bring new meaning to "think outside the box".

What happened before the big bang may be the missing piece of the puzzle...with all due respect Mr. Hawking

Thanks yammers. He was probably quoted out of context. I hope that he really said something like "Look, my theory pertains to the BB itself, it's pointless to ask me about before it in this context, go formulate your own theory".

It is a fact of life that we have to go through the educational treadmill of standard textbook theory to pass exams and earn our stripes.The spark of hope on the horizon is that every few generations, when pensioned encumbents have died out, the textbooks are re-written. In the meantime, don't let the b******s grind you down! In the meantime, hack away at that idol, you may be the one to discover it has feet of clay.

I think that before the big bang was a universe that collapsed on its on gravity. The force of the gravity increased as it shrinked and shrinked until something went off inside that was strong enough to re-inflate the universe. The universe that started ours was also started by a big bang, and it goes on as a cycle...

Of course then ppl would ask, where'd the matter come from originally? lol