A Few Question

dttom

1) Can the demage of brain cells be recovered by using stem cell technology?

2) What's the composition of the lining of the stomach wall? Does it dissolve in ethanol so that ethanol cause stomach ulcer and bleeding in this way?

3) How does ethanol lead to mouth throat and esophagus cancer, does it mean ethanol is carcinogen?

Whilst i do not claim to be any sort of authority on the subject i believe the following to be correct. Others more in the know, please correct me if i'm wrong.

1. In theory yes but at the moment only in theory. I'm sure you are aware that stem cells have the ability to become any other type of cell in the body, e.g. heart, liver, brain etc. The problem is getting them to behave in the way you want them to. Whilst it may be possible sucess rates are low and there have recently been reports of faked results in stem cell technology (New Scientist 24/31 December).

2. This I dont know. I will guess saying that whilst very pure ethanol might do some damage in general I think it is something else (although what i dont know) that causes ulcers. Otherwise lots of people who drink alcohol, especially spirits, would have ulcers.

3. Again, i'm not too sure but I doubt ethanol is carcinogenic. Those who drink regularly do not end up with cancer of mouth, throat and esophagus which, if ethanol were a carcinogen, you would expect with the frequent exposure.

Whilst these answers seem right they may well not be. They are educated guesses so dont rely on them too much.

I hope this helped anyway.

There is a whole artical on it in the 24/31 december new scientist. Basically Woo Suk Hwang has retracted some of his papers on "therapeutic cloning" which were already under fire for irregularities in the data. Apparently some cells which were being worked on had died from fungal infections and other were suspected to have been swapped for other cells. Also several photos seem to have been fabricated and reused. Some of the papers which were retracted were hailed as a key step towards 'therapeutic cloning'.

I'm sorry if that is vague and unorganised. My advice would just be buy the magazine or get access to it online or something. You'll get much more detail and wont have to put up with my vague mutterings.

I need the answer to some questions because Glencoe can't make a book to save their lives. The questions are:

1. What is the difference in the size of a lion cubs cells compared to it's mother's

2. What is the size range of most cells

3. What would happen to a cell if it were too big (has to be in 16 words, don't ask me why)

Or if any1 has the Book, if they could tell me where to find the answeres.