String Game

Kyle

This isn't a math or science brain teaser but it's been bugging me just the same.

I was at a friend's house last night and they were playing this game. You set it up by taking 2 people and 2 long ropes. Each end of Rope 1 is tied to a wrist of the first guy. Rope 2 is tied to the wrist of the second guy then fed through the loop formed from the first rope and tied to his other wrist.

Without being as specific, the players are connected - the ropes are looped together.

The point is to somehow separate. According to my friend, the connection at the wrists could be permanent and the rope could be impossible to cut - and it would still work. I'm not one to call something impossible but I see no way to do this. Am I wrong? I figured you geniuses could help me out.

if you ignore the irregular shape of the human body involved and break it down to it`s essential parts, you`re effectively left with 2 rings one through the other like 2 links of a chain.

it would not be possible to manouver them in anyway to seperate the two.

you can do it, my science teacher showed us back in elementary school.

i dont remember exactly but i thought it was something about crossing your arms before the rope is tied and then when you uncross them it undoes it.

nm.... that was one of the methods we tried and failed with. (it was a long time ago)

yes it is possible, because it doesnt actually break down as simply as yt said.

This can be done. Person A passes their rope through the rope ring sorrounding person B's wrist in the direction of their elbow to their wrist and then over B's hand. You will need to do it to see it work. Try it slowly at first.