MP3 player hack.

Illuminati

Ok, just the other day I bought a scandisk brand mp3 player, called a sansa, with one gig of memory.

The brand gave me an idea, scandisk makes sd cards right? so logically, they would use those same sd cards in their mp3 player? so wouldn't it be possible to simply open it up and upgrade the card to a 2 gig from the one gig?

Just wanna run this past you guys before I go through with it. :D

(I hope I put this in the right section)

Well it's a different product so no guarantee it will be the same, at the same time it sounds a very interesting theory and if you've got the time/money and are willing to take the risk then go for it... and tell us what happens!

I tried to open it up, but I was worried about breaking it, or cracking the plastic. I used a very small electronics screw driver, yet, trying to pry it open only resulted in bending the plastic, so, until I can find some scematics, I won't be trying it again. :D

Also, it's been alluded that it may just be the flash memory, and not the actual sd card, and I have no experience with soldering. :D

And just for reference: m200_silver_wScrnTxt-Earbuds.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
you will undoubtedly need to do some soldering for this "hack" to work.

Also' date=' u may need to format ure memory chip as well...[/quote']

"Some" is a very mild term. Serious soldering skills is needed, it's a pain just unsoldering ICs from PCBs. Try on a junk PCB, to remove a switch or an IC then you'll know what it really is...

But I think the swap should work fine, still sceptical though because we donot know if the actual flash they supply has got any software or firmware embedded into it.

Well if they can swap an xbox pentium 733mhz processor with a 1.4 ghz one, then I find no reason this shouldn't work.

Well if they can swap an xbox pentium 733mhz processor with a 1.4 ghz one' date=' then I find no reason this shouldn't work.[/quote']

well, one thing to bear in mind is, with the MP3 player, the firmware may onlybe able to adress the amount of memory its originally supplied with.

For all intents and purposes an xbox doesnt need to know the differenc between the 733 and the 1.4, i think it may be a problem with the memory though...

for example, when upgrading the Xbox's memory, u HAVE to patch the games xbe for it to make use of the extra ram, or it just ignores it.

Also, with upgrading the CPU, it can have hilarous effects on some games that use the xbox's CPU as a timer.

They end up running at double speed, so everything is in fastforwardesque style :D

anyway, try it and see!

let us know how it goes... ill see if i can dig up a video tutorial on desoldering memory chips from PCBs....

I hate it when programmers use the CPU as a timer; it’s just sloppy if you ask me. Ok, I can forgive my copy of the Alien trilogy for running at double speed on a modern pc, but come on; this is the Xbox, what’s the matter with these people.

i can agree with you BUT

just think that a console is a closed environment and like there's only a chance of 1 in [latex]10^6[/latex] that I might de-solder the cpu chip and put a new one...

Generally given the deadlines, I think it is faster and more convinient for the guys to use something given as a timer, and don't you think that they are justified. You open the 'boX and your warranty is *poof* gone. An average guy isn't going to open his boX, so to some extent the programmer can take it for granted...

I hate it when programmers use the CPU as a timer; it’s just sloppy if you ask me. Ok, I can forgive my copy of the Alien trilogy for running at double speed on a modern pc, but come on; this is the Xbox, what’s the matter with these people.

I would have thought it was more sensible for a closed system like an xbox where there is little to no chance of an upgrade other than a PC where there are many many differnt variations...