Persistant Euphoria?

Illuminati

Should pleasure be only a click away?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should pleasure be only a click away?

• Yes.
    • No.

Parts taken from; http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=229

In 1954 the brains pleasure center was found by complete accident, and in 1956 James Olds was able to tap into this center through electroshock bringing on complete euphoria for as long as the shock was issued, even such sensations as constant orgasms were acheived with higher levels of electricity.

This technology was tested on dozens of animals from rats to cows and showed a nearly addictive affect where as the animals would deprive themselves of food just to feel the stimulation. In addition to animals, this was also tested on a homosexual man in 1972 in an attempt to "cure" him of his homosexuality, the subject stimulated himself some 1,500 times and had to be disconnected despite his protests.

Now, the question is, should this kind of pleaure be only a click away? Is it moral to allow people to experience this so easily?

In my opinion, I don't think it should be allowed at all. I can just forsee entire civilizations crumbling with its citizens hooked up to pleaure stations. Although the idea of pleasure from a button is alluring, the reprocussions are far to great to risk it.

But, what do you think?

That is a tough one. If this were readily availible, a lot of people would essentially become vegetables overnight. It's like the ideal drug: a perfect high of unlimited duration with no side effects at all, and it's cheap as electricity. Of course, it would destroy the user's motivation, because if you have that, how could you want anything else? But unless you're actually harming others by doing so (like doing it while you're driving), I can't morally justify outlawing it. I'm undecided.

This is the "tasp," by the way, if anyone else is familiar with Larry Niven's books. In his universe, the problem basically solves itself, as the sort of person who becomes addicted to it almost never breeds...

What is more terrifying about this is it's potential to turn someone into a pleasure slave. That is willing to follow any order for the next fix. imagine if you will a factory full of workers willing to work only for sustenance and a jolt. Or worse an army.

heheheh I Clicked "Yes" and it Tickles :))

seriously, I think it should be allowed, but only for certain instances, such as someone terminaly ill with cancer or the likes, at the moment they get hooked up to a morphine drip of ever increasing doses until they die, just to make their last few hours "tolerable".

such a device could be ideal for this usage.

heheheh I Clicked "Yes" and it Tickles :))

seriously' date=' I think it should be allowed, but only for certain instances, such as someone terminaly ill with cancer or the likes, at the moment they get hooked up to a morphine drip of ever increasing doses until they die, just to make their last few hours "tolerable".

such a device could be ideal for this usage.[/quote']

That's what people say about some illegal drugs, but that never stops anybody from using it with no good reason.

lol, everyone should, but with the possibilities of std's and pregnancy, the risks are too great for everyone to be (for lack of a better term) "free spirits".

In addition to medical reprocussions, there are the social ones, so until everyone removes the idea of slut and whore from their minds, I don't think anyone will have immense amounts of sex.

although... heh, here's hoping. ^^

lol, everyone should[/i'], but with the possibilities of std's and pregnancy, the risks are too great for everyone to be (for lack of a better term) "free spirits".

That's what birth control methods are for. When used correctly, the condom is virtually 100% effective against STDs and pregnancy

I'm all for personal freedom and orgasms for all --but this has some social problems. First off, this will quickly become the most addicting drug known to man. The brain likes sexual feelings, because that leads to more people and hence survival of the species, so it will program us to like this Button. So people will do anything they can to keep the euphoria going; and what happens when the batterys die? They'll do anything they can to get batteries and will fight for them with other addicts. It'll be a problem. Also, they're motivation will be zero and will be completely unproductive at work - if they show up at all.

I wouldn't want my kids doing anything like this because of the addictive nature of the thing.

If a person is addicted to anything, including a button, he will nor take the time to earn a living and therefore be a burden on the rest of society.

Recovering alcoholics are urged not to make any major life decisions (other than to quit dringking, of course) for at least 90 days. While the effects of alcohol are still evident your judgement is considered to be impaired.

How could you trust your judgement if your brain's pleasure center was hardwired? Wouldn't your decisions be biased in favor of your next... surge? And how would your business and social relationships suffer if your reward system is self-controlled?

You're right Phi, people's motivation would lay soley on finding batteries or getting electricity for their next "high".

Also, what are the long term effects of a near-constant stream of electricity on the brain? I'd imagine that might corrupt the neuron impulses.

Some animals will eat until they die, others got successful enough at gaining food sources they had to evolve to survive large quantities of food.

If given the opportunity, most men will not have sex to the point of fatal physical exhaustion, (though I do have friends that I'd wonder about) but we do see narcodic addictions that effectively kill people.

In the end, even if humans underwent mass extinctions from over satisfying the pleasure responses, would the result be better for human kind? Would it require genetic evolution or could some humans already be geared in such a way that they would surivive this well, resulting in a humanity that was not obsessed with pleasure seeking but also not lacking it?

As for its current implications, I'd say slavery is a huge risk factor. Also, constant repetition is never good, carpel tunnel etc proves even the most mundane harmless things when repeated too long can cause injury.

I have a hard time telling people what they can't do, I'd only like to see that if it was allowed, that it not be controlled by mega corps in a highly regulated manner, but was very easily accessible by adults.

The dangers of everyone using it would be far less than the dangers of people jumping through the hoops of a select few for just a controlled taste.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What is more terrifying about this is it's potential to turn someone into a pleasure slave. That is willing to follow any order for the next fix. imagine if you will a factory full of workers willing to work only for sustenance and a jolt. Or worse an army.

A personal sex slave? checked on e-bay. Price was a bit high. Early death through exhaustion, then an eternity in hell as a eunuch. Decided against it. You can have mine.:)

There's a novel based on that concept: "The Terminal Man" by Michael Crichton. A guy gets electrodes put in his brain's 'pleasure centres' as a treatment for epilepsy. Obviously, being a novel, this causes the guy to go on psychotic murderous rampages...