I need help, but please, don't judge me!!!

AzurePhoenix

Okay, I downloaded that game Guild Wars and although didn't have a good enough video card to keep up with it hoped I could set it on lower qulaity setting and play without trouble (as I am able to do with such other games as Knight of the Old Republic)

Cutting my self-loathing rant short, my computer is now stuck in 640 by 480 pixels with 16 bit medium color quality, and it won't let me change the settings. Is there anything I can do?

---edit---

I use Windows XP home edition

The only way that can happen is if your graphics driver has changed. Goto Start, settings, control panel, system, then click the hardware tab.

Click on Device Manager, then the + sign on Display Adapters.

Your card should be listed. Right click on it....and select Update Driver ...follow the instructions.

If that fails, repeat the procedure only instead of Update, select delete and get rid of it and all other drivers in Display Adapters until nothing is left. Then reboot your computer. Windows will search for a new driver for your card and load it...

Hope this helps you. :)

Bettina

What do you mean by "it won't let me change the settings"? Are they greyed out or what?

Right click on your desktop->Properties->Settings

When I go to properties to manually change teh resoltuion, as one would normally do, the options available are limited to the single, low grade setting I'm stuck in, which isn't normal.

Bettsy, thanx for the advice, trying it now.

I'm going to cry. I can get as far as the monitor tab, but from there, it says its set on the default monitor and it won't let me get into the properties to make te changes. Might anyone know how to fix that? Is it as simple as unplugging adn replugging the monitor to the computer itself?

I see that in the main window, you have one otehr option besides 640 by 480--can you use that?
If I go to adapter, I can change teh settings, to higher pixel, nothing normal and certainly not fixed

and what Bettina said

I can go into adapters, which is where I go to make it loook the way I did above, but it won't give me any options for updating or erasing. I'm basically locked out of every suggestion.

Clicking on properties on that tab takes me somewhere where no changes can be made.

evil evil evil.jpg

If you installed the game, then its possible that windows automatically made a restore point.

You could try restoring to a point just prior to installing the game and see if that works?

Restore points have their uses then!

I am surprised and amazed that system restore actually fuctioned correctly for once :D

Dak, I could kiss you; thank you for your successful advice. Cap'n, Bettsy, I appreciate your help as well.

No problem :)

In my experiance, system restore functions perfectly up untill the point where you need it.

Then, it generally either a/ doesnt fix the problem even though, logically speaking, theres absolutely no reason that it shouldnt, or more often b/ hasn't automatically made a restore point like it should have.

Nice that it behaved itself this time :)

On top of what Dak said Restore Points make points to go back to, ie. they store data about your computer at a certain point in time. Now if at that point in time there happens to be a virus on your computer, see where this is going?

Some viruses are not even accidentally placed into Restore Points, some are programmed to hide within Restore Points, then when you delete the virus... well, you haven't because it's still hiding in the Restore Point.

Still, I have Restore Points (RP) running on my computer, but if you ever get a virus then it may be worthwhile deleteing and disabling RP until the virus is removed.

^ viruses cant actually run from restore points, and its better to have a dirty restore point than none atall, espescially if you have a potentially distructive virus onboard at the time.

After the virus is shifted, you can 'clean' system restore by turning it off, rebooting, and turning it on again, which erases all system restore points and then makes a new (hopefully clean) one.