The evolution of Fainting Goats....

When scared or excited the Fainting Goats suffers from a temporary muscle contraction and literally freezes.

I was wondering if anyone knew how this trait could have evolved and survived to pass it self down the generation? To me it seems like an obvious disadvantage and any goat that possesed the mutation would have been wiped out by the predators.

Only thing I can think of is that it was selectivly bread by humans.

I've heard of these goats, and I think it's a genetic defect passed on to the kids (actual name for goat young :) ) from the parents. Either it's recessive and both parents had it or it's dominent, which is more likely, and one parent passed it on.

Either way I believe it's genetic, not really evolution as in it's a conserved trait but a defect.

There's a goat (a Boer) being raised by my sister's family who might have this. They're not aware of any of their other goats (totalling somewhere in the 30s) having it. They were explaining to me that the goat will run and just hit the ground like he faints, but he's still awake. I thought they may be overreacting and maybe he was just really clumsy for a goat, but that's interesting it came up here.

It's been my experience that goats are sort of jumpy anyway. They can be very comfortable around me but just jump out of fright at random times over just basic stuff. It's like they freak out. I chalked it up as the massive amounts of wild marijuana they consume at the farm, but I wonder if they may have something going on neurologically as a species, like a goat schizofrenia.

I heard that house cats have chemicals in their brain similar to LSD and that's why you catch a lot of them playing with imaginary friends. I have no idea if that's true or not, and I also wonder if there may be something like that in goats, and what purpose they serve as well. Freaking out keeps them in shape longer?

A quick googling reveals everything you ever wanted to know about Fainting Goats...

http://www.faintinggoat.com/learnab.htm

Myotonia is the condition that causes Fainting goats to stiffen and/or fall over when startled. This condition is caused by a combination of recessive genes. Fainting goats can show varying degrees of myotonia. When startled some will fall to the ground with their entire bodies perfectly stiff and rigid. Others will only stiffen in their limbs and not fall to the ground. The condition lasts for ten to fifteen seconds after which time the animal will rise and walk off stiff, still showing a noticeable degree of stiffness in their back limbs. After a short time this stiffness will disappear and they will walk and act like any other goat. This condition only affects their external muscles so while in a myotonic state the animal is fully conscious and aware of its surroundings. In no way does this condition affect their life span and with proper care they will live just as long as any other breed of goat.

Where did they originate?

Their origin has been sought after by a number of people but it only traces back to the early 1800's when a farm worker appeared in Marshall County, Tennessee, with three does and a buck that fainted. It was thought by his dress that he might have come from Nova Scotia. He was a quiet man and wouldn't talk to anyone so whatever he knew will remain a secret forever. He eventually parted from Marshall County but before he did he sold his goats to Dr. H. H. Mayberry. Fortunately Dr. Mayberry propagated them and tried his best to research their history. He could find no evidence of such a breed anywhere else in the world. He was convinced they were a breed because their unique traits are hereditary.

• 1 month later...

I think there might be more to the good old fainting goats than just a bit of a laugh.... Perveyors of Intelligent Design and other Darwin critics often point to the fairly tricky and not well answered issue of nothing really being half complete (eyes are useless until they're finished etc..) Perhaps with the goats we are seeing an evolutional trait that wouldn't last 10 minutes in the wild but is adapted to their domesticity and even survival on account of a clear and growing breeding market due to their cuteness. Perhaps this is an example of something that doesn't work on its own but is useful or non-threatening enough to move a species on a step before the next mutation which might be a bit more effective.

This is my first post so please be gentle....

it's the funniest thing to watch, they're moving one sec, then suddenly they freeze stiff, and just tip over onto their side or back. Definately cheesy.

maybe some predators are motion sensitive (like frogs, not that it's a predator)
What could possibly be more predatory than a frog?

My mother grew up on a gaot farm, and knew someone who had fainting goats. They are selectivly breed by humans. For that^^ reason. Poeple think they are cute. Personaly I think it's cruel to inbreed goats juts to gaaaww at them falling down. But that's just my opinion.

Personaly I think it's cruel to inbreed goats juts to gaaaww at them falling down. But that's just my opinion.
I agree, but I look at it this way; many small dogs can be quite cute, that's undeniable, but simply breeding them into what they are was a cruel affront to nature that should never have happened. Still, cute. Same with the goats :P