Sweating when eating

I'm allergic to cheese and chocolate?

What do they have in common?

Not an expert on either food, but I would guess, if you are in fact experiencing a mild reaction, that they share some chemical your body can't process.

Or, as I said before, you "feel that way" about cheese and chocolate.

I'm a bit vague on this, but both cheese and chocolate contain substances that trigger particular CNS function. Chocolate contains substances that trigger reward.

Cheese contains tryptophan, which a 5-hydroxytriptamine precurser (hence the so-called 'cheese effect' which is the term given to the mild antidepressant effect of cheese in many cases). Cheese also contains substances that affect vasal responses (tyramine), and it is one of the reasons that cheese is thought to be a trigger for migraine. Tyramine is structurally similar to catecholamines so tyramine could act as a 5-HT (serotonin) agonist causing vasoconstriction, followed by longer term vasodilation. This is likely to be the substance that results in sweating as vasodilation in the face will trigger a sweat response. Capsaicin does the same thing.

Damn, you beat me to it!

Tryptophan is indeed the cause of this, in fact what you experience is also known as a "cold flash" not surprisinly the opposite to "hot Flashes" the sort that menopausal women experience, cheese is recommended as a non drug treatment for these hot flashes.

I get the same thing happen also, that`s why I looked it up a few years ago :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... just a thought, I`m on medication that contains pseudoephidrine (for sinuses) that apparently causes vasoconstriction esp in the nasal passages. would this work as a type of Counter effect when eating cheese or the likes?

• 1 month later...
Is this reaction sparked by any other diary product besides cheese? Cause I think I get that feeling when eating certain dairy products.

Yea milk and eggs both contain tryptophan along with a variety of foods such as tuna fish, soybeans, turkey, almonds, cabbage, pumpkin seed, spinach, and wheat etc etc.

Also the effects of tryptophan are greater when combined with foods high in carbohydrates.

Yea milk and eggs both contain tryptophan along with a variety of foods such as tuna fish' date=' soybeans, turkey, almonds, cabbage, pumpkin seed, spinach, and wheat etc etc.

Also the effects of tryptophan are greater when combined with foods high in carbohydrates.[/quote']

thanks. Sometimes when I drink a glass of milk, I get that same sweating sensation that Transdecimal described. ..then again, it could be that the milk was off.

:)