Applied chemistry indeed...

Ilja

What do you say about consuming N2O ?

I do not often but still and it's much better than alcohol , a Chemistry Professor gave me this idea :D

And it won't harm your body or something like that either :D

Anyway , would you do it ?

Ask Kary Banks Mullis if it's safe. He almost died using it. He passed out with a tube in his mouth and he froze half of his face.

and also,

Some people use nitrous oxide for its psychological effects. While the gas itself is not toxic, death can result if it is inhaled in such a way that not enough oxygen is breathed in. Long-term use in large quantities has been associated with symptoms similar to vitamin B12 deficiency: anemia and neuropathy. It can be habit-forming, mainly because of its short-lived effect and ease of access. Its use is thus restricted in many districts. In California, for instance, inhalation of nitrous oxide "for the purpose of causing euphoria, or for the purpose of changing in any manner, one’s mental processes," is a criminal offense. (See, Cal. Pen. Code, Sec. 381b.) The Centre for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics, a nonprofit law and policy center in the United States, contends that such laws are unconstitional "prior restraints on speech" and constitute "cognitive censorship."

it's safe if you're well informed , there's a german page which clarifies poeple how to use it.

Like not to much and they sell special apparates in order to not freeze the half of your face.

But yes , still there's a danger , if you don't get enough oxygen , people can't estimate when you should stop.

Nitrous oxide inhalatin is pretty dangerous. I've done it before when I was a 'nothing can kill me, all risks are worth it' college student. The problems with N2O is that you can inhale too much without realizing it, and suddenly suffer from heart failure and respiratory failure. N2O is an anesthetic. It causes your brain to "slow down" which results in a loss of sensation in your body. Basically, it knocks you unconcious so you don't feel pain. The problem with N2O is that if you inhale too much of it, it can stop some vital processes such as breathing and heart beat. Many people also combine the inhalation of N2O with various other depressants, most notably alcohol, which increases the chance of a bad incident happening.

Personally, I think the 'high' felt while inhaling N2O is incredibly overrated and frankly not worth the risks.

Personally, I think the 'high' felt while inhaling N2O is incredibly overrated and frankly not worth the risks.

Thats true , it won't last long , just for a minute you feel abit numb , but its not like your totaly knocked out or something like that.

To my opinion it is plain stupid to play with your health like this. Here we are talking about short-term effects, but what are the long-term effects of repeated exposure?

there are none if you do it right.

It always depends on how you do it and if u can estimate the risks :S

Personally I think like many drugs with moderation and a sensible way to go about it, nitrous is fine. Where I live there are several clubs I go to that offer balloons of nitrous with oxygen for around £1. Its a nice triptamine like high but is short lived lasting little more than 30 seconds so really not worth the money.

I agree that your judgment can be affected but you are far from completely out of it. As long as your sensible enough not to take it while driving or walking across the road accidents are easily avoidable. Also anyone who attempts to inhale directly from a capsule is just an idiot, dispensers are easily obtained and cheap.

Although according to 'bluenoise' there has been some research into the long term effects of nitrous use, and it has been shown to similar detremental effect on the brain that other dissciatives such as ketamine etc has.

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/23/3/876

But when taking into consideration the actuall amounts of nitrous you would have to consume due to its short lived effects, I would say the risk of brain damage is as little as the average adult who drinks mayhbe once a week has of experiencing liver cirrosis and heart problems.

Don't dentists use nitrous oxide to put patients under when doing surgery? If so' date=' the effects seem to last longer than 30 seconds.

And the effects of most drugs are overrated.[/quote']

Yes, but when dentists use N2O to put patients under the patient is CONSTANTLY inhaling small amounts of N2O. When stupid teenagers are at parties and use N2O, they inhale a massive balloon of the stuff in a single dose which lasts a mere few seconds. So there's a pretty big difference there in the exposure to it.

Yes, but when dentists use N2O to put patients under the patient is CONSTANTLY inhaling small amounts of N2O. When stupid teenagers are at parties and use N2O, they inhale a massive balloon of the stuff in a single dose which lasts a mere few seconds. So there's a pretty big difference there in the exposure to it.

plus dentists use a diluted form.

• 1 year later...

the nitrous that dentists use is in dilute form and in controlled amounts. plus to inhale it by yourself without the knowledge of where it came from or how strong it is is just crazy without considering the long-term effects that may take place