Canadian Federal Election 2006

PhDP

I'm afraid I don't know nearly as much about Canadian politics as I do American, but I have been more or less following current events there. I have a friend who worked in the previous government (that was ousted by Paul Martin's), and he's been rather pleased the last few days, as one might imagine. The general political landscape is somewhat opposite of the US, as I understand it, so conservatives canucks generally have it a bit rougher than conservative Americans, I imagine. ;-)

Please feel free to post your thoughts on the subject. I'm sure some of us will respond.

Liberals are in power since 1993, and it seems quite possible they'll retain the power, again, by promising billions in area outside their competence and by saying the conservatives are disciples of Bush. The problem with the conservative party is their leader, Harper is as charismatic as ice... and they are too socially conservative to win much seats in Quebec.

Anyway, I'm a sovereignist, so I'm voting for the center-left sovereigntist Bloc Québécois.

Well that shows you how much I know about Canadian politics, since here I am throwing around a term like "ousted", which is not a term my friend used.

Jean Chretien was ousted in his own party by Paul Martin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,780869,00.html

what do you think the Bloq Québécois will do for Quebec?

The BQ is, essentially, a party that's voting with the left on most issues, but that's also very often voting with the right against centralization of power in Ottawa. It's a strong voice for Quebec and a strong voice against centralization, that's what they do for Quebec.

If the BQ was not there, I would not even bother to vote...

Are you hoping for another referendum?

Yes, and I wish it will settle the question for good.

• 1 month later...

Conservative Minority Governement

Now it's "god bless Canada"

Canadian House of Commons 2006

124 Conservative Party (Center-right/right)

103 Liberal Party (Center)

51 Bloc Québécois (Center-Left/Left)

29 New Démocratic Party (Left)

1 Independant

Canadian House of Commons 2004

135 Liberal Party (Center)

99 Conservative Party (Center-right/right)

54 Bloc Québécois (Center-Left/Left)

19 New Démocratic Party (Left)

1 Independant

What a shame! Canada might be on its way to becoming the 52nd state of the USA

You might think it's funny, well, it is, but still, it's quite disturbing to hear "god bless Canada" from our prime minister :). Australia is perhaps be the next in line (if it's not already too late).

Quebecers decided to remain Canadians. Seems like a clear answer to the question?

Quebec has rejected the Canadian constitution, a revised form of the constitution, and sovereignty. So no, it's not clear at all. Also, the last referendum was 49.4% vs 50.6%, and its now known the "NO" has cheated. In Quebec, each side have the same amount of money to spend, so nobody can win by raising more money. And, in the end, we are STILL not in the constitution. It has been more than 25 years of battles, discussions, referendums, nothing was done, it's always the same problems over and over again, the only thing that was done is the "Clarity Act" to restrain our democratic right to self-determination. Currently more than 50% Quebecers FOR separation, and one day, we'll have either to enter in the constitution, or get out of Canada, but the statu quo isn't an option.

Currently more than 50% Quebecers FOR separation, and one day, we'll have either to enter in the constitution, or get out of Canada, but the statu quo isn't an option.

I'm not clear about this, if more than 50% of Quebecers are for separation why didn't they vote for it in the referendum? Surely the referendum showed that more than 50% wanted to remain part of Canada?