Human reaction time

TWJian

Anybody knows how much time we take to respond to a simple stimulus? (on average). I try googling and found a lot of conflicting reports. Did some experiments by playing reaction time games. Example: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/282683

Did manage to get a mean reaction time of around 170 ms.. (repeated 20 times)

If this post violates forum rules (since newgrounds does contains unsuitable material), please delete this thread.

Tests like that aren't very accurate. However, they do test sight and sound response just like any normal video game, but for real life situations reaction time would vary invariably. For one, you usually aren't prepared (lawnmowers) or the sound and realism of the test is much more demanding, getting one's heart up, therefore making reaction time quicker. Those click or press games are a rough estimate, and they could go both ways, depending on who you are. Ultimately, they are just as conflicting as any articles you might find.

The fastest reaction time is to a painful stimulus as this relies on a reflex arc rather than central processing.

Mean reaction time (motor response to a simple visual stimulus e.g. a light) is between 300 - 500ms.

Reaction time slows with increased levels of processing. Increasing stimulus complexity results in longer reaction times as does the inclusion of differentiation tasks, i.e. telling a red light from a green light and so-on.

I read somewhere on the Internet (a police research I think) that drivers on average requires 750 ms to break as a response to a certain emergency.

Quote: Mean reaction time (motor response to a simple visual stimulus e.g. a light) is between 300 - 500ms.

So, how did I get a mean reaction time of 170 ms? Anticipation perhaps? Or maybe the programming is bugged? By the way, thank you guys for responding quickly.

As a side note, does anybody know how quick can a neuron emit a single impulse?

I read somewhere on the Internet (a police research I think) that drivers on average requires 750 ms to break as a response to a certain emergency.

This includes the time it takes to remove their foot from the gas, change peddles and hit the break.

Quote: Mean reaction time (motor response to a simple visual stimulus e.g. a light) is between 300 - 500ms.

So, how did I get a mean reaction time of 170 ms? Anticipation perhaps? Or maybe the programming is bugged? By the way, thank you guys for responding quickly.

Probably anticipation. A single trial won't give you an accurate measure of your reaction time. You need to do several trials, e.g. ~ 20 and calculate the mean. This will help iron out the variance inherent in the measure due to other factors; anticipation, concentration lapse, miss-hits and so-on.

The values I present above are population norms (perameters) calculated from a huge number of trials done by a huge number of people.

As a side note, does anybody know how quick can a neuron emit a single impulse?
Do you mean emit or conduct?

Large myelimated motor neurons conduct at around 300-400 metres per second. Small, non-myelinated fibres (e.g. C fibres) conduct at between 0.5 and 0.2 metres per second. There are a range of different afferent and efferent fibres that conduct at different rates between those two extremes.

It took me several hours to respond to your post.:)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH...oh i can't breath