A Working Lightsaber?

Quantoman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually thinking about this earlier today... Is it possible to make a lightsaber (well, kind of) by having a metal stick (or something like that) with electricity running through it? Will it work pretty much the same way? Maybe it can have a thing around it extremely cold to lower the temperature of the "lightsaber."

Yeah, the most I've seen are those replicas which cost around $100. However, if you actually created a real one, it'd sell for a cornucopia o' cash.

My best guess is for a full metal rod, which resembled a handle at the bottom or whatever... then for a laser to engulf the upper two thirds of the metal rod.

Is there any type of material that could stop a laser? You could put it both at the top of the handle, and at the top of the full rod.

I dunno, I'm not familiar with this type of stuff.

In the u.k. a while back, two teenagers attempted to make one using petrol filled tubes which they set alight. Obviously what ever the hell they thought would happen didn't and it just blew up in thier face casuing them both third degree burns.

I know its harsh but they had to deserve it for thier stupidity.

In the u.k. a while back' date=' two teenagers attempted to make one using petrol filled tubes which they set alight. Obviously what ever the hell they thought would happen didn't and it just blew up in thier face casuing them both third degree burns.

I know its harsh but they had to deserve it for thier stupidity.[/quote']

Why would they use petrol?? Obviously light sabers employ some sort of laser technology.

I was actually thinking about this earlier today... Is it possible to make a lightsaber (well, kind of) by having a metal stick (or something like that) with electricity running through it? Will it work pretty much the same way? Maybe it can have a thing around it extremely cold to lower the temperature of the "lightsaber."

that would be a fun cow prodder to use:D

How would you be able to "stop" the beam when it reached a certain length?

I had thought that to reach a certain length, the 'creators' of light sabers incorporated two laser-type beams in the handle. With two "lasers" tilted slightly towards each other, the beams would meet at the specific height and serve as a barrier to the deadly, fluorescent saber, shooting out of the handles core.

I had thought that to reach a certain length, the 'creators' of light sabers incorporated two laser-type beams in the handle. With two "lasers" tilted slightly towards each other, the beams would meet at the specific height and serve as a barrier to the deadly, fluorescent saber, shooting out of the handles core.

Wouldn't work, also you've got to think of the power consumption of powerful lasers, that's alot of batteries you've got to carry :|

Yeah' date=' but lightsabers are about a metre long, then the beam of energy just stops for no reason.

Why don't lightsabers have an infinite length?[/quote']

Because it would have been akward to hold in the movies...

In reality they should stretch on forever.

This is actually one of the items I'd like to research later in life.

Lightsabers are possible but not in the litteral sense. With current plasma technology, a cold plasma "light sabre" is possible but only a few inches long, the beam is self terminating because it is just a de-ionized oxygen/helium gas. The beam only heats to about 75 degrees F. so it is non-lethal, but in the future, it could be possible to not only extend the beam to a metre or so, but also be able to create a lethal version.

:D

hooray for second post!

Is there anyway we could "loop" the laser back around by attracting it back to the point of origin & just make it continuous? That would solve the problem of the length if you could set the attraction behind a "reflector" that would send the beam back around again.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious how you got to this conclusion. Did you travel forward in time or something? Because nowhere did he say "is it possible with current technology".

It's not our technology that is at fault it's the idea of a lightsaber. If you detach the theory from the name then it's simply a name and I could call my dog “lightsaber” and say that it is now possible.

Erm, you are still saying that it's impossible, which is simply wrong. Maybe not with current technology, but what is impossible is saying that the laws of physics won't allow it, which is a more elaborate version of your "No.".

How Stuff Works (.com) did an article not to long ago explaining (in great detail) how light sabers "work". Even an explanation of why their blades "stop", instead of going on, like a laser would. It seems, they say, that the "blade" is not a laser like so many think, but rather a type of "energy loop" - I believe, similar to an elongated arc-welder.