Acetylsalicylic Acid Solubilty

Khushi

I've been doing research on Aspirin(Acetylsalicylic Acid). One thing I need to know is about it's solubility in water. I know that Acetylsalicylic acid isn't very soluble in water. I've tried researching on the net and so far i haven't really got it, but I think i'm onto something. Basically I think that Acetylsalicylic Acid isn't very soluble in water because of it's polarity. Water is a polar molecule, and I think Acetylsalicylic Acid isn't. That's all i got so far...:S...so if anyone could help understand it more like how is Acetylsalicylic Acid a non polar molecule?...please do. I really don't think that two line explanation is worth anything. And what would be a good solvent for Acetylsalicylic Acid...oviously a non polar solvent right?..."like dissolves like"

ya she. but to find polarity you have to draw the molecule and find the shape (molecular geometry), then you compare the elctronegativities. For example, for H2O the shape is... bent planar. so then comapre the elctronegatives and you will see that the Oxygen is more electronegative and is thus more "negative" than the relatively positive Hydrogens. Thus, it is polar. For another compound such as AlH3, the molecule is a trigonal planar.

alh3.gif

Thus, no matter what, it will not be polar because the charge will be distributed in no one direction.

For Aspirin it would be more complicated since it has no single shape.

Image18.gif

Also, when aspirin hits acid pH in the stomach it actually can lose a hydrogen which can change the polarity to become more soluable. Since aspirin is polar in some spots, primarily the O bonds, its slightly soluable in water. C-H bonds are only slightly polar.

Try to solve it in Ethanol (C2H5OH) i think it will work better than if u do it with water.

It should, maybe if people drank a load of ethanol their headaches would do faster after they itook the tablets :o

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

It should' date=' maybe if people drank a load of ethanol their headaches would do faster after they itook the tablets :o

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Just in case people aren't aware, you should NEVER, EVER drink ethanol while also taking acetylsalicylic acid. The toxic byproducts produced in your liver WILL kill you. Acetaminophen and Acetylsalicylic acid, when processed along with ethanol, produce some of the most potent hepatotoxic compounds you can find. This is why they put those warnings on the bottles saying that if you drink a certain amount of alcohol you shouldn't use this drug.

Just in case people aren't aware, you should NEVER, EVER drink ethanol while also taking acetylsalicylic acid. The toxic byproducts produced in your liver WILL kill you. Acetaminophen and Acetylsalicylic acid, when processed along with ethanol, produce some of the most potent hepatotoxic compounds you can find. This is why they put those warnings on the bottles saying that if you drink a certain amount of alcohol you shouldn't use this drug.

Good point, I should have put "but the headache it will give you would be far more severe".

I did not know it could kill you, I did know it would do you a lot of harm though....

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

What are those hepatotoxic compounds?

Hepatotoxic are chemicals that attack or damage the liver - one of the worst types as it is the liver that filters out all these nasty toxins from the blood in the first place. :)

As for the exact compounds formed in the reaction I cannot help you there sorry :(

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The main toxic compound resulting from the metabolism of acetaminophen is N-acetyl-benzoquinoneimine (NAPQI). This compound is quite toxic and is produced by the liver whenever acetaminophen is metabolised. Normally, there are plenty of other enzymes and proteins in the liver which can bind to the NAPQI and render it harmless. However, when combined with alcohol or long term alcohol use, the toxic metabolite is unable to be bound to these specific enzymes/proteins and instead bind to the liver itself. Glutathione is the main compound which can bind NAPQI and render it harmless. Excessive alcohol consumption can basically deactivate the Glutathione and allow the NAPQI to simply destroy your liver.

• 5 years later...

That's interesting.

Not only am I dead, but so are lots of my friends.

I'm so glad you told us.

It's not generally a good idea to mix drugs, but most of the time you will get away with it.

Unless your liver is already shot and/ or you are taking lots of alcohol and/ or aspirin there's not a problem for a fit healthy person.

Acetaminophen (paracetamol for those on this side of the pond) is hepatotoxic, particularly in overdose. On the other hand, paracetamol based remedies for the after effects excess drinking are on the market and they don't carry a warning saying that you should make sure you are fully sober before you take them.

The carboxylic acid functionality can receive hydrogen bonds from -OH groups of alcohols.

Can you explain that more simply? I'm sorry, I'm new to science. Is there a relationship between the polarity or molarity of the alcohol that make it easier/effient to dissolve the tablet?

Can you explain that more simply? I'm sorry, I'm new to science. Is there a relationship between the polarity or molarity of the alcohol that make it easier/effient to dissolve the tablet?

Hydrogen bonds are weak non-covalent bonds between hydrogen attached to an electronegative element and another electronegative element.

50-78-2.gif

Here is acetylsalicyclic acid. The ester functional group and the carboxylic acid functional group are the groups on the side of the ring with the oxygens. Ethanol and Methanol have -OH groups and these groups have hydrogen bond interactions with acetylsalicyclic acid.

Hydrogen bonds are weak non-covalent bonds between hydrogen attached to an electronegative element and another electronegative element.

50-78-2.gif

Ahh!! Thank you so so so so much!! ;) I get it now!

Here is acetylsalicyclic acid. The ester functional group and the carboxylic acid functional group are the groups on the side of the ring with the oxygens. Ethanol and Methanol have -OH groups and these groups have hydrogen bond interactions with acetylsalicyclic acid.

50-78-2.gif

Ahhhh I get it now! Thank you SO SO much! ;)