potassium permanganate

rakuenso

the most notable part in that demo was the use of Red iron oxide? the thermit I had was nothing like that at all' date=' it was all silvery and granular like coarse sand and extremely heavy!

Interesting! :)[/quote']

You know, every thermite I've ever seen has used red iron oxide (rust) and not the black oxide (magnetite). It looks like there is a difference in the activation energy required to get everything started. I have also seen instances where powdered magnesium was mixed in there as well in order to make the thermite easier to ignite. I'd be a bit wary about that, however, as powdered magnesium is VERY easy to ignite and burns quite intensely, so if one did try that there's a good chance that they wouldn't have enough time to get far enough back. That's what makes the KMnO4/Glycerine starter a nice one. It's got a built in delay which allows the person who started the reaction to get far enough away.

Take a whole bunch of animal fat and mix it with some powdered NaOH. Let this steep for a little while and the pure glycerine will move to the top as the soap settles down at the bottom. This is probably the easiest way to get glycerine and as a side benefit you get your own soap as a side product. :D

I was intrigued so I threw some olive oil and NaOH into a test tube.. At first the light yellow clear liquid turned into a cloudy white liquid. After sitting a few hours, it is starting ot clump and spot of clear liquid (Should be glycerin) are appearing.Will this settle out completly over a few days? If not, how wqould I go about doing a more complete seperation. I was todl to add HCl, but how would you remove the chloride form the glycerin/water without distilling?

it was used in both, except it was called Chedite then, an is nothing like plastique as we know it today.

the thermit I has also left a coppery/bronze product and was only a tiny bit magnetic after the burn, as I said it was the proper factory made stuff used for welding train tracks together, in the other end of the tube was a seperate section in which was the magnesium lighting powder.

"In World War I Potassium Chlorate was the most common type of plastic explosive used, often filling grenades and other munitions."

Ok I was wrong about which war, but it was still used.

Isn't it very unstable, especially when moisture is introduced?

chedite`s very difficult to get Moisture into if ya know the formula (I`ll not give it out here) but you`de see Why it`s difficult :)

and yeah, it loses significant VOD IF moisture gets in OR it gets over time (when made it has a short shelf life).