potassium permanganate

rakuenso

It cannot be made easily from household materials. What do you want to do with it?

If you want more info, you may send a PM to me. I do not publish sources for the chem over here, k3wls are reading this also :-( unfortunately. PM me with what you want and I'll see if I can help you.

As with woelen, I will not post any of the sources I have for the same reasons...

But I think it should be fine to tell you some aquatic type stores sell it :) If you need some links to, I'll try and help but my ones are probably identical too those that woelen has ;)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Oh yes, you can easily remove them without damaging your skin. You need to take very dilute HCl (let's say 3% by weight or so) and add a pinch of sodium sulfite or sodium metabisulfite to the acid. This gives the lovely smell of SO2. Apply this to the stain and almost immediately the stain is gone. Next, rinse with water. The precise amount of Na2SO3 does not matter. Na2SO3 is fairly benign and hardly harms the skin, not even at high concentration and exposure for minutes.

An alternative is to prepare a 2:1 mix of 3% H2O2 and 10% HCl and apply this to the stain. Equally effective as the previous one and also harmless to the skin. Also this should be rinsed away after applying it. With the H2O2 mix you should be sure not to use higher concentration of H2O2.

Only thing is that these dilute acid mixes should not be applied on damaged skin or wounds. That also is not that harmful, but the stinging is quite painful in that case.

haha i'm using it for thermite

neways' date=' would adding gasoline serve as an alternative to glycerine?[/quote']

ARE YOU INSANE?!!! Good god NO!!!!! Do not add gasoline to ANY thermite mixture unless you want to burn down your neighborhood and spend the rest of your life in rehabilitation for the 3rd degree burns you will receive. Just think about it. You have liquid iron metal in excess of 1000 degrees C and then you want to have gasoline mixed with that? Hmmm........ I wonder what would happen when the insanely volatile petrol vapors contacts the liquid iron?

And no, it won't work. The structure of glycerine and gasoline are not even remotely alike. Gasoline and KMnO4 in a thermite results in your death. Glycerine and KMnO4 results in a delayed fire start in a semi-predictable manner.

you`de probably find also that it wouldn`t work!

the gas would catch fire almost right away and be nowhere near hot enough to light the thermit, your thermit ignition method would likely be extinguished by the heavy vapors and combustion gasses, this would happen quite frequently.

enough to get you either A annoyed or B too cocky!

then all of a sudden WALLOP! you`re toast!

but would even glycerine and KMnO4 be hot enough to light thermite? Perhaps you could use it to light magnesium which would, in turn, ignite the thermite.

gasoline is generally not something to play around with. Forget the generally part. gasoline is not something to play around with.

but would even glycerine and KMnO4 be hot enough to light thermite?

quite simply NO. not for an Alu/Iron oxide type, you cant even do it with a blowtorch!

I`ve had 10`s of kilos of the stuff, and I`ve tried most of these ideas, NO, it`ll not work.

quite simply NO. not for an Alu/Iron oxide type' date=' you cant even do it with a blowtorch!

I`ve had 10`s of kilos of the stuff, and I`ve tried most of these ideas, NO, it`ll not work.[/quote']

Ummmm.... KMnO4 and glycerine WILL initiate a thermite reaction. I've done it many times and in virtually EVERY thermite demonstration that I've seen it was started with KMnO4 and Glycerine. So you must have been doing something wrong there YT like not mixing the thermite properly or not using enough of the KMnO4/Glycerine mixture.

well I wasn`t using "Home made" thermit, this was Industry standard thermit as used for train track welding, so I`de assume they`de have their mix as "perfect" as it could be since they ship this stuff from Germany to a Global market!

no KmNO4 and Glycerine will NOT ignite this thermit.

How are you setting up your KMnO4 pile? That plays a HUGE role on whether or not the thermite would ignite. The reaction between KMnO4 and Glycerine gives off a great deal of heat, but if it is not concentrated enough then the heat gets wasted. When I've ignited thermites with KMnO4/Glycerine mixtures, I've dug a small little pit in the middle of the thermite and filled it in with the KMnO4 which forms a tiny little "hill" so to speak on the thermite mound. In this hill, I used my glove covered finger and made a raised well in the KMnO4. To this, I dribbled the glycerine into this well and moved away. The fact that the KMnO4 was "infused" into the thermite in a relatively small mound, and the fact that a well was made where the glycerine was added forced the reaction to occur in a small section and drive the heat into one part of the thermite. This ignited and the rest is molten iron history.

If you don't set up the KMnO4 mound properly, then the heat of reaction will be lost to the atmosphere and not focused on your thermite. :D