Sky Marshals Shoot Passenger

Pangloss

Not at all. The fault lies plainly at the door of the American electorate' date=' especially the large proportion who chose not to vote. Reflect on the wisdom of the expression "A nation gets the government it deserves."

A sobering thought.[/quote']

I agree totally. At least some people (even in the USA) are starting to gain some common sense and are realising that a majority of the talk surrounding the "war on terror" (it makes me want to spew just saying it) is just political hype used to scare the populace.

Am I like the only person on these boards who's ever heard of the Shoe Bomber?

Mind-boggling.

Not at all. It's funny how easily people forget real terrorist attacks after the happen... Just because they caught the Shoe bomber, and the 9/11 attacks were 4 years ago, doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Am I like the only person on these boards who's ever heard of the Shoe Bomber?

Mind-boggling.

I think we may have a lot in common' date=' PanGloss [apart from both being [i']homo sapiens[/i]]. We both attempt to use logic and reason to arrive at our conclusions. So, whilst our conclusions must largely remain opinions, we feel they are well founded opinions.

Naturally, I think my opinion, at least in this matter, has a stronger foundation. Let me illustrate (note I do not say prove) why?

At the outset I shall ignore any motiviation for 'the war on terror'. I have my thoughts on that, but they are irrelevant to my main thesis.

The stated purpose of the 'war on terror' is (as I understand it) to protect the lives of US citizens, US residents, and secondarily peaceful persons globally, from terrorist attacks.

I am not going on a google hunt to impress you with my acquired knowledge. You are a smart individual: you have a rough idea of the numbers associated with each of these.

Persons killed in road traffic 'accidents' in the US each year

Persons killed in the US as a result of driving while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol

Persons killed in the US as a result of illegal drug taking

Persons murdered in the US

Persons dying in hospital as the result of errors (to the unitiated, this is a scary one)

You may be able to think of similar categories. It seems plain to me that on a cold blooded, hard headed, actuarial basis, the 'war on terror' is a waste of money. The cost of this 'war on terror', applied to one or more of the real killers of innocent (or just ill informed)citizens could make a real difference to the number of dead.

Statistically it is just not valid. It is a waste of money.

Well that's a perfectly reasonable argument, not mind-boggling at all, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I also agree with it to a large extent in terms of how it applies to many areas of the "war on terror". I just would not apply that specific reasoning to the specific case of armed sky marshals. I think there are other areas that are much more wasteful and pointless than spending money in an area where we factually know that a specific threat is possible.

But I admit that you've given me a new angle to consider on the subject.