lost CTRL key???

YT2095

I don't know if windows uses common components in keyboard maps, but, you could try changing from uk english to usa english and see if your ctrl key works. Also do you have the on screen keyboard option. This may help narrow it down to a file. I don't know if you can just reinstall the maps.

A keyboard which doesn't work due to the software, well if you're certain then that is a rare one.

A keyboard should come with software... many of the newer keyboards come with software for all of the hotkeys and customisable keys. Even if you don't have these things if there is a specific program for the keyboard then reinstal it.

You could try reinstalling drivers.

What OS? Is this one of your really old computers? And is the ctrl key the only one not working?

it`s a P2 350mhz with Win 98se installed.

and it only happened since the crash.

Try running a program that checks that some of the DLL files are not corrupted, I forgot the name of the program though :-(

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

You haven't eliminated a hardware problem yet. It could be the connector or the motherboard.

The way to determine whether the problem is in Windows would be to run something other than Windows. If you can find a bootable floppy somewhere, and find some program on it that will accept input from the control key, that would do the trick. I believe the old EDIT command had some control key commands built into it, so that might work. Just boot the Win98 boot floppy (if you still have it), abort the startup process (F8?) and let it go to the command line, then type "EDIT" and see if the control key works in there.

Try running a program that checks that some of the DLL files are not corrupted' date=' I forgot the name of the program though :-(

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

..System File Checker..? I assume this is what you're thinking of.

To find it, navigate to Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Information

Under the "Tools" menu, click "System File Checker"

ok I just ran that dll checker thingy' date=' and only 1 file shows as corrupt: setuppx.dll (whatever that is?)

anyway, I`ve no way to resore that as I don`t have win 98se on CD anymore :([/quote']

Well, there are ways to get it for free.. *wink, wink* *nudge, nudge*

Or I could always attach the DLL...:)

setupx.zip