Higgs Boson and such....

JonM

Are theoretical particles like the Higgs Boson and other similar particles (discovered or theoretical) responsible what we experience as space? Is it because of them that there is mass and matter and 3d space? Does their existence generate space?

I don’t understand the theorized nature of these particles, if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated

questions like "why is there space-time?" really are philisophical.

But I am not asking why, I am asking how.... which is completely scientific.

The Higgs boson is suppose to cause the theorized Higgs field, which gives mass to particles… I am thinking here that mass and space go hand in hand…

Is it possible that the particles responsible for dark matter or dark energy or any type of particle for that matter is part of what causes space?

JonM, on a purely speculative note consider this...

You have a 'clump' (for the lack of a better word) of energy of n.quanta (consider this analogous to the beginnings of the Big Bang just so that we can see the 'birth' of space). There is no space between your quanta of energy - they're all superimposed. Say there is an event that causes 'instability' - the concept of direction perhaps? Something like I can point radially in any direction but nothing exists in those directions - not even space. The instability starts separating your quanta of energy. The dispersion (& separation) causes energy to 'create' the space between the quanta. And now as well as direction, dimensionality is 'born'.

I just threw this together now quickly and as said, it is purely speculative - not a theory, unless I just described a 'version' of the Big Bang that someone else has already. It's a one possibility, however, it generates more questions than it answers.

I guess this goes into string theory and such, because then you would have a nice answer... the vibrating strings of enegery determine whatever particles responsible for space and thus space is generated... space is just energy

but thats a whole lot of imagination and not much science right there... But perhaps not too far off... I think at least that there are many many particles yet to be discovered that could provide answers for questions like this and many other unsolved questions...

I guess basically I just want to understand space

For me it's not so much understanding space per se but more precisely understanding dimensionality. I know they're pretty much one and the same but 'space' comes with a bias - it is mostly imagined as 3d and unquestioned.On a fundamental level dimensionality is the effect of distance and not neccessarily 3d. Space is perceived as 3 dimensional but that does not mean that it is neccessarily so eg. string theory and its n-dimensional models.

What if space was just the 'flip' side of energy (perhaps dark energy) without us even realising it. Some kind of total 'opposite'? Energy cannot be created or destroyed whereas space CAN (reference to the expanding space view among physicists). Combine all of space and energy in a ball and you have....nothing...our universe.

Forgive....I'm in a speculation mode today for some reason...I think I'm coming down with something :-(