Some concepts I need cleared up...

JonM

Ok two things,

First off about black holes. Ok so go back to idea that space-time is a fabric and heavy objects make a dent in the fabric and distort it. So say you take something really heavy and drop it onto this fabric, It could fall straight through and the fabric would break (especially if its small and heavy), there would be a hole? Is the super massive and dense objects created by collapsing stars too much for space time to handle and therefore it just breaks a hole in the fabric, or in the p-brane we sit on? Is that an accurate conceptualization about black holes?

So now onto string theory and such… The way I understand it is that there are strings that sit on a p-brane and whose vibrations generate subatomic particles. If they generate particles then that means they are responsible for particles like the Higgs boson (if it exists) among other theoretical particles that are responsible basically for space and the ability to have space and matter and mass and such right? So space is just our perceived result of generated energy by strings sitting on a p-brane?

These are just concepts I am trying to grasp, let me know if I am accurate in my statements…

Thank you :)

I'm pretty sure the black hole one is correct, at least - that's my idea too.

As for the string one - I thought that the strings WERE the subatomic particles themselves, whatever p-brane they're in. The frequency and resonance of the string simply determines which particle it is.

As for the string one - I thought that the strings WERE the subatomic particles themselves' date=' whatever p-brane they're in. The frequency and resonance of the string simply determines which particle it is.[/quote']

That’s how I meant it. I used generating interchangeably with determining, which perhaps isn't the correct context...

But the point is do those strings basically generate space, because they determine the Higgs boson etc?

I don't know enough about the nature of space or the Higgs boson to really comment...

As far as I currently know, the vacuum of space is the result of the 3 spacial dimensions and the 4th temporal dimension that work to determine this Universe (out of all eleven of the dimensions that exist).

Energy and Matter, be it Photons, Quarks, Electrons, (and my personal favourite) the Weak Gauge Boson are all just super strings each playing a different "note" on some as-yet undetermined musical scale (just an analogy with the string being likened to a vibrating... string)

Does that help any? Admittedly it may not as it's just what I think of the nature of the Universe.