A little help with non-convulsive seizures?

Hey! I have a son who developed a seizure disorder about 3 weeks after birth. I'm happy to say he had his last one over two years ago & is about to undergo his last EEG to reassure the neurologist that he has "out-grown" the seizures & we can start weening him off of his meds. I'm just wondering if an infant can "rewire" their brain around a problem or fix the problem why can't we stimulate this action in other humans? Is it the the constant developement of the childs brain that enables him to do this? If so then why does this differ from ,say, adults learning new things? I'm guessing it may have something to do with where the problem is & possibly how developed the problem is. The neurologist never actually figured out what was causing my sons seizures but he did say it appeared as though the left side of his brain was breaking down "sugar" more quickly than the right. Now I was under the assumption that the two sides of the brain opperated differently so why would this have an effect on anyone? And I was also told this could affect his speech in the future. Is that true? Sorry for so many questions but I would really appreciate any free time & input from someone. I'm just really curious on this subject & I never really have time to try & get technical with the doctor. Thanks!!