Pure HCl

jowrose

Yes, what you had made was nitrogen-triiodide monoamine (though the exact number of the amine adducts can vary). Secondly, we do not discuss the synthesis of high explosives here at the forums. Doing so is a nice way to get a temporary vacation from these forums. :D

from what I can tell, it's the middle school-sometiems high school retards who get info from places like totse and use the anarchist cookbook. Basicly, they are interested in large explosions, not chemistry as we are. And since they have no real knoledge or drive to learn knoledge of chemistry, as Woelen said, they are likely to blow something off. That's what I think the definition is anyway..

Xeluc, you are quite close with your description: tH4T'5 k3Wl M4N :D

But, just to get serious. This kind of persons is a real threat for the hobby chemistry. When accidents happen, when things go wrong, then companies may become even more careful when selling chemicals. Last summer a Dutch boy blew off his hands with acetone peroxide and since then we have a discussion on whether H2O2 should be forbidden or not for the general public. Fortunately the discussion fades away and things do not change, but when such things happen too often, then indeed common chemicals may become much harder to obtain.

do as you outta' date=' add acid to watta

Yeah, lye is dangerous stuff. I read that it is used by some to create pure sodium, rather than heating up sodium chloride and running a current through it (which is a pain, i've tried). Supposedly you only need to get lye up to 600 degrees before you can start to separate it, but at that point it will eat through just about anything. So i didn't feel like trying...

Drain cleaners are up to 97 % H2SO4? wow, I didn't know that. I'll have to pick some up.[/quote']

I always heard it as add acid to water you otter!!

And yes, I've also tried making Na from NaOH and it was lame.Nothing at all. Just a big waste of MAPP gas. So anyway, I dont see why it is a problem to get H2SO4 for any of you (well maybe it is, since chemical laws differ in different places, but i live in california and the laws here are outragous).

All you have to do is walk into a auto parts store, and ask them if they have any battery acid. Theyll get some from back. This is where i bought my bottle of 1 litre for about 5 bucks. Good purity.About 30% conc.

Here a picture of the bottle, notice the acid isnt brown like drain cleaner.

right next to anothe fun acid as well...

does anyone know what impurities in drain cleaner make it brown? are those liable to affect experiments? is the battery acid just h2so4 and water? or are there impurities in there too?

sorry for all the questions, thanks for all the responses everyone.

The bottle in the picture states the ingredients. Sulfurinc acid and water.

From an earlier post, someone said the drain cleaners impuritys are caused by organic impuritys. So this probaly makes it brown.

right next to anothe fun acid as well...

does anyone know what impurities in drain cleaner make it brown? are those liable to affect experiments? is the battery acid just h2so4 and water? or are there impurities in there too?

sorry for all the questions' date=' thanks for all the responses everyone.[/quote']

The drain cleaners indeed contain some organics, which are severely charred by the concentrated acid. This makes the acid appear light brown. Some very bad drain cleaners are totally black, looking like used motor oil, but I've never had that crap. Most times, it is light brown. For many experiments, requiring concentrated H2SO4, such as the experiment with NaCl, it is perfectly suitable. For experiments in aqueous solution with metal salts, I do not use those drain cleaners. For that purpose I have purchased lab-quality sulphuric acid, which is an oily colorless liquid. Such experiments are more sensitive, because many metals form complexes easily with all kinds of unknown organics and these complexes may affect experimental outcome.

The battery-acid can be used for aqueous experiments without problem, as long as it has not been in a battery yet. It looks nice and colorless.

"pure HCl(g) is practicaly useless for the home chemist anyway"

BULLSHIT! hydrogen chloride is very handy for the home chemist!!! consider having a freebase dissolved in a dry non-polar solvent. then with your very easy to make HCl generator, you bubble the gas through the solution and the HCl salt precipitates from the solution! have fun, hcl gas is pretty much safe if you use it outside!