CO2/straw/soda/*BURP*

YT2095

an Observation I`ve made seems to support, that drinking soda pop (Sprite in this instance) directly out of the can with a straw will make you Burp more than if you drink it out of the can as normal (without a straw).

the straws used ar the plastic disposable sort with the /\/\/\/\/ type bend in them to make the staw flexible at a given point.

now assuming that all cans are identical as per contents and volume of CO2, surely you`de comsume the same amount of gas per given volume of liquid.

and yet for Some reason, when consumed with a straw, there`s Seems to be more CO2 belches aterwards?

I can`t say this was noticed under strictly controled conditions, so maybe some of you would like to try this for yourselves and see if you notice a difference at all :)

and maybe later we could try and find out Why!

I have an idea why, when you sick throught eh straw you increase the preassure and then when it reaches our mouth it is still at preassure right? You swallow and then the preassure is released causing the gas to escape.

This leads to the conclusion that there can't be more, it just escapes faster due to the pressure variations :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Actually, sucking through a straw decreases the pressure.

When you suck (:rolleyes::D ) you decrease the presure above the liquid in the straw. The greater air pressure (normal air preasure) in the can pushes down on the drink and forces the drink up the straw and into your mouth.

Actually' date=' sucking through a straw decreases the pressure.

When you suck (:rolleyes::D ) you decrease the presure above the liquid in the straw. The greater air pressure (normal air preasure) in the can pushes down on the drink and forces the drink up the straw and into your mouth.[/quote']

You decrease the air pressure yes.

Either way the pressure variance is what causes this rapid release of gas compared to the slower ones through contstand pressure.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

well contrary to what I`de I`ve expected, this observation still holds true on todays trial also, I Seriously would have placed money on the idea that the straw with the /\/\/\/ bend would have created tubulance and vortex conditions liberating the gas from the liquid quite readily, it would Appear this is not the case after ingestion?

well contrary to what I`de I`ve expected, this observation still holds true on todays trial also, I Seriously would have placed money on the idea that the straw with the /\/\/\/ bend would have created tubulance and vortex conditions liberating the gas from the liquid quite readily, it would Appear this is not the case after ingestion?

It does but it does not alter the pressure and so none of the little bubbles can escape - where could they escape too anyway?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I think I know the answer. It probably has alot more to do with the the mechanincs of how one drinks with a straw than it has to do with presure or chemistry. (and I'm a chemist so this definatley is a stretch for me)

Here's my theory: You see when you drink with a straw you will be swallowing smaller gulps than if you drink straight out of the can. This means that you will have to swallow far more to drink the same amount. By swallowing more you're increasing the total amount of air that you end up swallowing for drinking the same volume of liquid. Also you need to consider the "void" volume of the straw, there is air in the straw before it fills with liquid. So this air is also sucked out and swallow.

So you see the extra burps you're getting from drinking from a straw is due to extra swallowed air and not extra CO2.

Every notice how if you drink juice out of a juice box it makes you burp as well? I remember getting lots of burps from apple juice when drinking from a juice box.

You see what your current experiment lacks is a set of controls to eliminate possible variables. Set a bunch of these up and you can probably prove one responsible for the effect.

Try the experiment with a non-carbonated beverage. (you may have to drink alot more) I bet you'll get more burps when you drink it with a straw as well.

Seems I was right. :)

"Sometimes eating or drinking too fast can make a person burp because this can send extra air into the stomach. The same thing happens when you drink through a straw: extra air in = more burps out."

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/yucky/burp.html

I know it's not very authoritative source, but the probability of the first source I find agreeing with my random prediction is pretty low unless it's not a coincidence.

I have also heard that not all the air you take in while eating comes out as burps. The air passes through the digestive system and comes out the "Other End" (I hope you get the picture :D ). SO not only will you burp more you will also have more embarasing moments...