Protest against closure of JC1 Thread on ID

Ophiolite

It appears from the above that there are more than a few in the scientific community who are not at all sure that there is no such thing as God.

If one believes in God, is not it also reasonable to believe that a God would be all powerful? And if God is all powerful, isn't anything therefore within the realm of possibility? Subject only, of course, to God's will? And if something is within the realm of possibility, doesn't that qialify it for discussion?

Now, I know that there are many here who think that they are privvy to alllllllll the secrets of the universe, and who want to demonstrate their vast knowledge by being impatient with those of us who are merely normal, but since the known facts regarding the universe and it's origins are so very small and what is yet to be learned is so very large, isn't this a little arrogant?:)

All of this discussion of "science" by the denizens little forum reminds me of a 16 year old child telling it's parents that they "just don't get it.":rolleyes:

Now, I know that this post will probably garner another of Moleke's cute little "warnings" in my PM box, but someone had to tell you little phoneys that your hat was getting a little too tight.

I think you`ve totaly and utterly misunderstood his and some of our positions here, it`s NOT that we`re Against talk of such things, only that were Against the FACT that the same old same old keeps cropping up time after time after time, nothing ever new, just a re-hash of the same (often not even worded differently)!

it`s simply TIRESOME! nothing more nothing less :)

Great minds think alike - that's precisely the same suggestion I made at one point. It'd probably be a good idea, and I mostly fluctuate between it an just getting rid of all ID/creationism depending on how annoyed I am with ID at any given time.

:D

I can't say i dont see your reasoning in closing the threads, but wouldnt it be better to allow the conversations to take place? you must remember willow and his 'your sensoring me --> you cant adequately defend ToE --> ToE is indifensible --> you need to silence me to hide the fact that ToE is a LIE!!!!!!!12 --> god created the universe and mankind all on his own without evolution nya nya nya :P --> but he did it along time ago, 'cos we all know that young earth creationists are 'friking morons'...

If we actually start censoring creationists, then they'll just use it as validation of their 'theory'... and what of creationists who would be open to actual scientific/logical comparison of ideas?

Plus... science depends heavily on peer-review to catch any mistakes... thanks to creationists and ID'ers continual and failed attempts to disprove it, the theory of evolution is probably one of the most peer-reviewed, and therefore reliable, theories science has.

Cheers for that, by the way, creationists :)

It appears from the above that there are more than a few in the scientific community who are not at all sure that there is no such thing as God.
I happen to be one of them. I have very deep spiritual beliefs. But the part that relies on faith is outside the purview of science.
Now, I know that there are many here who think that they are privvy to alllllllll the secrets of the universe, and who want to demonstrate their vast knowledge by being impatient with those of us who are merely normal, but since the known facts regarding the universe and it's origins are so very small and what is yet to be learned is so very large, isn't this a little arrogant?:)
Ah, now I get it, you think we think we're smarter than you, and that science knows everything. I think it will be tough to convince you that's not the case. You've demonstrated a determined lack of willingness to understand the very fundamental points we're trying to raise here.
All of this discussion of "science" by the denizens little forum reminds me of a 16 year old child telling it's parents that they "just don't get it.":rolleyes:
In this case, I don't think you do "get it". Try this: Religion = Good; Science = Good; Religion trying to use Science to prove itself = Not Good; Science trying to disprove Religion = also Not Good. Science can't be what you are asking it to be and possibly that is where religion takes over. But please don't ask science to work outside of observable, demonstrable, testable phenomena. That's just not what science is for.
Now, I know that this post will probably garner another of Moleke's cute little "warnings" in my PM box, but someone had to tell you little phoneys that your hat was getting a little too tight.
Now I know you don't get it, Cathy Pa. You're calling us phoney's while you sit there with your fingers in your ears, screaming "LA LA LA LA!" and posting insults about Mokele's mother and then complaining when you're warned about it. To me, since I'm quite a bit older than you, you seem like the petulant sixteen-year-old.

Please take this in the proper spirit. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your family.

LOL

No, I don't think you are smarter than I, nor do I think that you are as smart as you think you are.:) That is what I was trying to say when I pointed out that there is so very much that you don't know.

And as to my having my fingers in my ears??? Excuse me??? It is not I who is closing down threads because I "don't consider it good science or good religion," it is the moderators of this forum who did that.

And as to insulting Mokele's mother, again, you misunderstand--I wasn't saying that she had a big dink, I was pointing out that she begat one when she birthed Mokele.

You do see the difference?

Anyway, since opening and reading a thread is not obligatory and since we seem to agree that God and by extension ID is at least a possibility, why slam the door on discussion? That is, why slam the door if you wish to appear to be open minded?

Anyway, since opening and reading a thread is not obligatory and since we seem to agree that God and by extension ID is at least a possibility, why slam the door on discussion? That is, why slam the door if you wish to appear to be open minded?
It IS obligatory for the staff here, Cathy Pa, and when ID threads use bad science it is required that we refute it. As Mokele pointed out, and which you refuse to acknowledge, allowing misinformation to go unchallenged is a tacit acceptance. We feel an obligation to promote good science here (imagine that!). When each thread uses the same bad science to argue it's point, and requires us to repeat ourselves ad nauseam, it becomes an excercise in frustration.

It is NOT an open-minded discussion we are objecting to. It is the tactics that ID proponents are using for their agenda to bring religion into the science classes. IDers spout inaccuracies, forcing the scientific community to refute them, then claim there is a controversy and that schools should teach the controversy. And here at the forum, if you could be bothered to read the many ID discussions we have already had, you would see that much effort has been expended and no progress has been made to bring ID into acceptance with science.

ID is creationism, and science has accepted theories that put the world much older than 6000 years. Good scientists will retain a small skepticism about all theories, and the staff here would probably all agree that there is a miniscule possibility that an omnipotent being magically poofed the world into existence 600 years ago. But we spend an inordinate amount of time refuting that miniscule possibility. It's just that simple. Tiny chance, huge burden. Sorry you can't understand why our time is limited, and why it frustrates us to spend half that time on something that really is outside the purpose of this forum.

I think I`de also like to ADD to that by saying; that those of us that ARE Scientists AND of a Spiritual nature (myself included).

these IDists give us Spiritual people a bad name by association (and yes they do try that Tactic!).