Where is the best place to go to once oil peaks?

funzone36

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to learn how to make water?

Lol, I imagine that s/he means fresh water; we wouldn't want to go mad from drinking salt-water now, would we? :D

I'm guessing the topic is in regards to there not being any energy, well if it is; I saw an article about people installing their own mini wind-turbines on the roofs of their houses, apparently they can produce 1/3 of the energy needed for the house. Now what I don't understand is why people don't just buy 3 mini wind-turbines and get all the energy they need. :confused:

You need to learn how to make fresh water?

I think investing in solar/wind home power supplimentation is not just a good idea for preparing for armageddon scenarios. It can also help you save money, as well as deal with day-to-day outages and issues. It's a good thing when we don't become too reliant on technology.

But here's a thought: What is the difference between a religious fanatic predicting that Jesus is coming so you'd better get ready, and a far left extremist predicting that we are about to run out of oil, so you'd better get ready?

Oil will peak during the next decade. I must prepare now to be able to survive. I'm currently looking for a new location to live and learning to make my own food, shelter, water and clothes.

Have you ever heard of this thing called "macroeconomics"? Aggregate supply and demand?

Peak oil implies a gradual, steady decrease in supply. If supply decreases while demand remains constant, then price increases. As the price increases then demand for alternatives to oil, including ethanol, kerosene (coal oil), and hydrogen, will increase, and a new energy infrastructure will begin to materialize as demand for alternatives increases and the money made from them can be re-invested back into developing the infrastructure.

The grid doesn't just break when it runs out of something. The market will respond dynamically by bolstering alternatives as oil becomes increasingly more expensive.

OK, if you've still got at least one toe on the board over which you are trying to go, you might spend your relocation time and money trying to get a job that reduces or eliminates your commute. You can't escape the need for oil or products made using oil completely, but you can learn to be a citizen instead of just a consumer. While learning to be self-sufficient is a good thing, going all Grizzly Adams may be getting ahead of yourself.

You need to learn how to make water?
Several years ago I invented Instant Water as a powdered mix and I'd be happy to sell some to anyone here. It's portable, easy to use and sounds like the perfect solution here.

You just put the powder in a clean cup and add fresh water. Voilà!

But here's a thought: What is the difference between a religious fanatic predicting that Jesus is coming so you'd better get ready' date=' and a far left extremist predicting that we are about to run out of oil, so you'd better get ready?[/quote']

A religous fanatic wants Jesus to come back, a far left extremist hopes that flibit (the new way of saying he/she) is wrong about oil causing a severe depression.

Have you ever heard of this thing called "macroeconomics"? Aggregate supply and demand?

Peak oil implies a gradual' date=' steady decrease in supply. If supply decreases while demand remains constant, then price increases. As the price increases then demand for alternatives to oil, including ethanol, kerosene (coal oil), and hydrogen, will increase, and a new energy infrastructure will begin to materialize as demand for alternatives increases and the money made from them can be re-invested back into developing the infrastructure.

The grid doesn't just break when it runs out of something. The market will respond dynamically by bolstering alternatives as oil becomes increasingly more expensive.[/quote']

Yes, peak oil implies a gradual, steady decrease in supply. But you're assuming that demand remains constant. However, wouldn't demand increase due to natural overall growth? Causeing the seperation between supply and demand to grow not steadily, but drastically?

Yes, peak oil implies a gradual, steady decrease in supply. But you're assuming that demand remains constant. However, wouldn't demand increase due to natural overall growth? Causeing the seperation between supply and demand to grow not steadily, but drastically?

But would natural growth happen quick enough to increade the demand in the time it takes oil to peak?

You need to learn how to make fresh water?

I think investing in solar/wind home power supplimentation is not just a good idea for preparing for armageddon scenarios. It can also help you save money' date=' as well as deal with day-to-day outages and issues. It's a good thing when we don't become too reliant on technology.

But here's a thought: What is the difference between a religious fanatic predicting that Jesus is coming so you'd better get ready, and a far left extremist predicting that we are about to run out of oil, so you'd better get ready?[/quote']

Well if everyone installed the appropriate amount of clean energy providers necessary, it would also relieve the demand for fossil fuels and reduce pollution levels. Sounds like a good idea to me, I don't know why more isn't being done to put it in action.

Well if everyone installed the appropriate amount of clean energy providers necessary, it would also relieve the demand for fossil fuels and reduce pollution levels. Sounds like a good idea to me, I don't know why more isn't being done to put it in action.

because then the oil companies would take a hit. MOst People aren't going to do this own; the government is going to have to take action. And seeing how the government has a lot of ties to oil companies, I don't see that happening with the current administration.

What is the difference between a religious fanatic predicting that Jesus is coming so you'd better get ready, and a far left extremist predicting that we are about to run out of oil, so you'd better get ready?
Blatant strawman! Nobody mentioned running out of oil (though funzone36 appears close to panic). The topic was peak oil. You are the only one saying we are about to run out of oil. Care to retract the slander?

Blatant strawman! Nobody mentioned running out of oil (though funzone36 appears[/i'] close to panic). The topic was peak oil. You are the only one saying we are about to run out of oil. Care to retract the slander?

I wouldn't say that this particular strawman is slander... it wasn't a terrible strawman either. HE was just saying that the reaction of two different people is similiar for two different situations. An intreseting parallel, but nothing more.

Wouldn't the demand have to increase "drastically" for the effect to by "drastic"?

Wouldn't the demand have to increase "drastically" for the effect to by "drastic"?

Basically what I imagine is a population growth curve, minus the bell curve. The gap between demand (the population curve) and supply (bell curve) would grow faster than if demand remained constant. A lot faster. If you have access to a graphing calculator (you can use one at http://www.coolmath.com), graph

1) [math]ae^{x}[/math] the population curve

2) [math]ae^{k-(x-k)^{2}}[/math] the bell curve with peak at [math]x=k[/math]

3) [math]ae^{x} - ae^{k-(x-k)^{2}}[/math] to see the difference between them.

By the way, a is just a height scaling scalar.

Then along comes fusion and peak oil is irrelevant...

"Experts say we're about to run out of oil. But we're nowhere near having another technology ready to take its place."

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/11/10_401.html

"Fusion. Fusion involves the fusion of either of two hydrogen isotopes, deuterium or tritium. Deuterium exists in great quantities in ordinary water, and from that perspective fusion is theoretically an almost infinitely renewable energy resource. This is the holy grail of ultimate energy. Fusion is the energy which powers the Sun, and that is the problem. The temperature of the Sun ranges from about 10,0000C on its surface to an estimated 15 to 18 million degrees in the interior where fusion takes place. Containing such a temperature on Earth in a sustainable way and harnessing the heat to somehow produce power has so far escaped the very best scientific talent. However, even if commercial fusion were accomplished, the end product again is electricity, not a direct convenient replacement for oil."

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/youngquist/altenergy.htm

"Q: We'll simply develop alternative sources of energy to keep the economy going. This won't be so difficult, will it?

A: Oil is the most concentrated and convenient source of energy available to us. It is high quality energy that burns hotter than coal and wood. Energy from oil and other fossil fuels is not susceptible to the vagaries of weather in the way that energy generated from wind and photovoltaic panels is.

Alternative sources of energy are often used to make electricity, and the energy density of batteries to store the energy does not compare with the energy density of oil. (Batteries provide hundreds of watt-hours per kilogram at best compared to 13,500 Wh/kg for gasoline.) This means that it will take more weight in batteries to do the same work as a certain amount of oil.

Alternatives can provide energy, but not in the amount it takes to satisfy the growing consumption of global industrial society. This means that it will be impossible to maintain the same level of energy use we currently have. "

http://www.communitysolution.org/peakqanda.html

I forget my plan to relocalize. The amount of arable land left to grow my food is non-existent.

http://www.dieoff.com/page40.htm

Now, I think the best place for me to die once oil peaks is World War 3. I don't want to die slowly from starvation.

Open your eyes. See the big picture. Read the book "The Oil Age Is Over" by Matt Savinar. Get this in your mind: Alternative energies will not save the world from an oil crisis. A stone age is coming.

"Experts say we're about to run out of oil. But we're nowhere near having another technology ready to take its place."

Well experts also say my ass is purple. Did I mention these are experts in gay sex? "Experts" is about as reliable a source as "It is said" or "It is widely believed"

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/11/10_401.html

Oh that's credible...

"Fusion. Fusion involves the fusion of either of two hydrogen isotopes, deuterium or tritium. Deuterium exists in great quantities in ordinary water, and from that perspective fusion is theoretically an almost infinitely renewable energy resource. This is the holy grail of ultimate energy. Fusion is the energy which powers the Sun, and that is the problem. The temperature of the Sun ranges from about 10,0000C on its surface to an estimated 15 to 18 million degrees in the interior where fusion takes place. Containing such a temperature on Earth in a sustainable way and harnessing the heat to somehow produce power has so far escaped the very best scientific talent. However, even if commercial fusion were accomplished, the end product again is electricity, not a direct convenient replacement for oil."

Ever heard of ITER? We're on the verge of commercial plasma fusion... ITER is likely to be the last experimental fusion reactor before it is ramped into commercial production.

Open your eyes. See the big picture. Read the book "The Oil Age Is Over" by Matt Savinar. Get this in your mind: Alternative energies will not save the world from an oil crisis.

Well, I'll see your "Wake up people you're all blind" paranoia with my own. The Singularity will happen before any of this becomes an issue, and provide the needed solutions. Don't think the Singularity will happen first? Then you should be working to make sure that happens...

Aah, Singularitarianism kicks ass...