Degrees

blike

I'm doing a BSc in biochem, finishing second year this semester (crazy southern hemisphere and all). Normally a Bsc would take 3 years but I changed uni and major so it'll be 4 for me. Thinking of moving again :P

filosofie magister sounds more like it would equate to M.Phil (master of philosophy), which is the research-based equivalent of the M.Sc., which is a taught course (i.e. you attend modules and do a dissertation). But then, I'm only going on what it sounds like.

Morrgan said in post #14 :

I'm about to start on my 4th year as a Cell Biology major. I'm not sure about the abbreviations in English as far as the degree goes, could it be MSc? It's FM in Swedish, if that helps (filosofie magister).

Yea, thats the equiv. of an MSc. You get your FM after only four years?

blike said in post #17 :

Yea, thats the equiv. of an MSc. You get your FM after only four years?

Nah, I'm not that quick a learner. ;) The courses are planned for 5 years, but most people go for about 6, including me. I've had to work part-time to cover all living expenses, so that has slowed me down.

Loki said in post #20 :

anyone here working on a physics degree? I'm still in high school, but I'm going to get a physics, astronomy, or engineering degree. at least that's what i hope for

I originally wanted to do a double major with Phys & Philosohpy, but I was urged to go into Engineering b/c it's jobs are much more steady.

:embarass:

But I'm still hoping to get those after a few years in the workpalce.

:)

yeah, it sucks how the physics/astronomy job market isn't as stable as engineering... i'm sure i'll be forced into eng. eventually b/c of that... *sigh*

-edit- i guess i could always flood my elective slots w/ intriguing phys/astro courses in college right? that might be the only other way to feed my true curiosity

Loki said in post #24 :

-edit- i guess i could always flood my elective slots w/ intriguing phys/astro courses in college right? that might be the only other way to feed my true curiosity

Oh yeah, for sure;

oF course, you have to make suer your institution offers them in the first place.

;)

That's why I'm going for a minor in Philosophy.

:)