-Antigens & Transfusions-

Midnight

Hello!

Im a newbie at this site...and i'm trying to come up with an idea for this Gr.7/8 science fair...so sorry if this question sounds really dumb, however is it possible for one individual to have more than one blood type? I am aware that there are certain restrictions to which blood can be transfused to another blood type; i.e. the individuals with Type A blood can only receive blood from other individuals that only have Type A and O Blood. Type B individuals could only receive blood from those with Typed B and O. Type O could only receive from other O’s. And AB is considered as a ‘Universal Receiver’; hence individuals with Type AB could receive from anyone; whether it be A, B, AB or O. This is so because of the antigens, let us say there is some sort of technology, or some chemical...that can freeze or eradicate the antigens temporarirly...so in the transfusion process, your freeze/or whatever the antigens/antibodies so that the antigens/antibodies do not react and start attacking the foreign blood; and once the two types of blood mix together, would that impact the body in anyway?

*an answer would be greatly appreciated =)

CAn you just clarify what you are asking here. Is this basically it:

if you could theoretically disable the immune reaction caused during the transfusion of an incompatiable blood type would there be any other effects?

if so then:

It the antigens are disbaled temporarily then when they 'reactivate' the original problem would arise again. If you could permanently disactivate the antigens then this wouldnt be a problem. However, antigen disactivation is probably not an option. The antigens are functioning surface proteins of the red blood cells - they need to be there (as far as I know).

If you were able to neutralise any immune problems then the blood should be fine in the body. I can't see any reason why not. But if this was easy then I think someone would have done it by now.

In short the answer is a yes/no.

Like you said O is a universan doner so it cna be given to any patient reguardless of blood type and AB is a universal reciever so it cna ONLY get form AB.

If you consider that you can add type O to any blood type then in that case the two blood types cna work fine otherwise unless you are using some immuno suppressants the answer is no as the immune system will attack the foreign cells and destroy them causing a toxic build in the body na dhtus the onset of septic shock.

This may be an interesting readfor you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types

Cheers,

Ryan Jones