EM Fields

Hi sorry if my questions are a bit fuzzy or if it's in the wrong part of the forum.

In order to alter an atoms electromagnetic field would it be necessary for it to be a good conductor of electicity?

If you alter the em field a substance (silicon for instance) by passing an electric current through it, does its ablility to bond with other atoms improve while it is being altered?

In order to alter an atoms electromagnetic field would it be necessary for it to be a good conductor of electicity?

No.

Not sure about the other one... if you have a current going through a reacting metal does it affect the reaction? Dunno!

If you alter the em field a substance (silicon for instance) by passing an electric current through it' date=' does its ablility to bond with other atoms improve while it is being altered?

[/quote']

The chemistry of a metal (or other substance) can be changed by applying an electronic potential to it. If you pass a current through a metal, I suppose you could change its chemistry while the current is being passed, though this is a more subtle point requireing much more information as to the circut being used.

Conversly, the conductivity of a substance can be changed by altering its chemistry. Ie. the conductivity of a gold wire can be changed by attaching moleucules to its surface, such as thiols. (molecules with -SH somewhere in them.

Thanks gents for the answers both were very informative.:)

"The chemistry of a metal (or other substance) can be changed by applying an electronic potential to it. If you pass a current through a metal, I suppose you could change its chemistry while the current is being passed, though this is a more subtle point requireing much more information as to the circut being used."

The circuit in question would be a dynamo and I think that what I am trying to ask is there a way to pass an electical current through a material (for instance silicon) so it increases the elctronegativity?

If this is not the case then how does one change the electronegativity of an atom, can it be done artificially (or theoretically)?

Is Fe3O4 (lodestone) a polar molecule or am I misunderstanding the term?

I don't know the answer to your question as such, but here's my thoughts...

The electronegativity of an atom is affected by the electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and the orbitting (or surrounding) electrons.

Passing an electric current would make the electrons move, but this would in no way alter the force of attraction between an electron and a nucleus.

So I'd say no, you cannot alter the electronegativity of a material.

A polar molecule is one which has a slightly positive side and a slightly negative slide, so can you work it out if Fe3O4 is polar?