Cannabis and onset of schizophrenia

Do not forget that many of theses studies were funded exclusively by pharmaceutical companies also selling synthetic drugs for schizophrenia. The political lobby and government-sponsored research on schizophrenia is a much more lucrative business than cannabis research. Fortunately, I hope the global legalization of marijuana will correct this by financing novel research on the medical applications of cannabis.

I am a high functioning schizophrenic.

I have used weed on occasion.

I found that, while it makes you paranoid, it also helps relieve anxiety that happens due to schizophrenia.

If common sense prevails against overuse, then it is helpful.

I could believe that it might detour cancer if administered in the right way.

If it makes you cough, its probably not good for the lungs.

Edibles and vaporizers seem to be the best way to administer since you are not taking in smoke from the plant material.

Schizophrenia : a psychotic disorder characterized by loss of contact with the environment, by noticeable deterioration in the level of functioning in everyday life, and by disintegration of personality expressed as disorder of feeling, thought (as in hallucinations and delusions), and conduct.

There is a definite correlation between schizophrenia and cocaine use. Which leads to which is unknown. But a great deal of the pot out there is laced with cocaine without the user ever knowing it. Never seen an angry pothead, but seen drunk or coked up people do some real nasty stuff. Where is the media campaign against that? Cocaine is the likely culprit and marijuana is the scapegoat for the war on peace.

Categorize a person who falls out of agreement with general consensus and label him psychotic. Many scientists and philosophers ahead of the "knowledge curve" throughout history can undoubtedly be thrown into this category based on others' black and white introspective perception, and not on fact.

The general consensus of what everyday life should be, from a spiritual perspective, is quite a ridiculous lifestyle. Those who contemplate very deeply on topics of life, humanity and political control, such as pot smokers, may rightfully start disassociating themselves from their environment... creating a logic structure that is different than the rest whom are playing 'follow the leader.'

too much thc without cbd causes a state similar to schizophrenic symptoms and clearly can cause damage.

here is a video that shows the effects of pure thc compared to thc with cbd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8XARojnbM

Do not forget that many of theses studies were funded exclusively by pharmaceutical companies also selling synthetic drugs for schizophrenia. The political lobby and government-sponsored research on schizophrenia is a much more lucrative business than cannabis research. Fortunately, I hope the global legalization of marijuana will correct this by financing novel research on the medical applications of cannabis.

Could you kindly list which of the mentioned authors were funded by pharma companies?

Could you kindly list which of the mentioned authors were funded by pharma companies?

Curran et al Nat Rev Neurosci (GlaxoSmithKline)

Skosnik et al. Biol Psychiatry (Pfizer)

Note also that most studies you cited were not open access...

That is unfortunately true, and there is hope that more will be open in the future. This does not discredit the research, though. More importantly, have you noticed that the two papers by researchers who may have competing interests are actually reviews? I.e. assuming your claim is true that many of these studies are exclusive funded by pharma, those reviews should have an over representation of pharma-funded research.

So all you have to do is to show that the authors are skewing research by doing so and point out how the actual research that is not pharma-biased contradicts it (note: check out what the NIH has been funding, it may surprise you).

That is not to say that research has been a bit on the slow side due to legal restrictions and is likely to gain steam in the near future. I.e. one will have a more complete view on benefits and risks following that research.

Also, following new legal rulings, pharma is now actually highly interested in pushing the benefits of cannabinoids as there is a billion dollar market for them to exploit. It is not a novel thing, as there have been approved extracts produced by e.g. Bayer almost a decade ago. However, the potential market has been expanding since them. So it would be kind of silly to play down the benefits, if they try to develop drugs based on them.

So for sake of fairness I should add that in this particular case the pharma companies producing those drugs could facilitate (internal) research easier, as they usually have licenses by the respective government allowing them to cultivate and research cannabis and derived therapeutics. But again, it would be against their interest to overestimate risks.

Edited by CharonY

This is my own conjecture based on anecdotal evidence, but if I were researching this I would look in these directions.

Schizophrenia is related to communication between the left and right brains.

Not sure if it is opening the bridge, closing the bridge, enhancing the less dominant side, dimming the dominant side, or something else.

Dominant side being where the primary language center and self-identification of consciousness resides.

Cannabis plays into 1 or more of these pathways. It appears to make imagination (or, just activity of the less dominant brain) more vivid (accessible to the language and waking consciousness areas).