Problem: Transporting egg over 50m??

rickdg28

Fine idea, we first thought of a water rocket, but the teacher wo'nt allow us to do something like that :mad: (good idea about the polystyrene packaging though!) The egg should survive it, and is raw... We thought about a circuit aswell, but it in a mini-ferris wheel, and make it go round 50times, but it must be 1 long rail or something... I'm clueless

if you have the egg securely packaged, it doesn`t matter How tidy you really do this as long as you win! Right? :)

have you considered Compressed gas such as CO2 canisters (the sort used in home made soda pop) on a roller skate, or even a long piece of wood across the hall with 2 pegs and a large elastic between them (Catapault style in a nice arc through the air)?

and no, electro magnets use electricity, so that`s against the rules.

trained Gerbils anyone???

if you have the egg securely packaged' date=' it doesn`t matter How tidy you really do this as long as you win! Right? :)

have you considered Compressed gas such as CO2 canisters (the sort used in home made soda pop) on a roller skate, or even a long piece of wood across the hall with 2 pegs and a large elastic between them (Catapault style in a nice arc through the air)?

and no, electro magnets use electricity, so that`s against the rules.

trained Gerbils anyone???[/quote']

A CO2 car would work perfectly. I like this idea, you could get 50m easily.

Alright, thnx everyone ;) I think we'll try the trebuchet using the polystyrene packaging, or the CO2 car :D

Thnx a lot, you were of great help, I'll make some designs, hand them in, and if possible, make photo's and post them in a new topic somewhere :)

Thnx again

Rick

And the packaging shouldn't be too heavy surely?

maybe, but think about what you would have to have for padding to keep an egg from cracking after being thrown half a football field. if not heavy it would probably at least be bulky. i think to throw it that far your going to need a pretty decent sized trebuchet. maybe im wrong : P

Do not use polyestyrene foam as packaging. Use sponge instead.

Only 50 metres? -piece of cake!- Helium balloons will do it, but there is risk the 50 metres can become 50 kilometres and get the first prize plus too many extra bonuses.

A tiny leak with an aquarium hose valve on the helium balloon can be set for shorter distances and a very smooth landing and may need very little protection.

If a strict path has to be followed by the rules ot the contest, a second air ballon can provide propulsion to the helium carrier while riding captive on a string from start to goal line.

Miguel