Strange Things On Your Desktop

In My Memory

This is just an awkward fascination of mine, but I almost always find people let the most strange things pile up in an around their desk. I know for a fact my dad keeps a framed picture of R2D2 next to baby photos, and someone I work with loves to drip candle wax in colorful patterns all over his desk for reasons only the divine goddess could know.

Heres some things I have:

- a pink stegosaurus beanie-baby on my monitor, his special power is proofreading spreadsheet formulas and being adorable

- a really odd book on how Jesus will rapture the earth in the year 2012 that my mom gave to me as (I hope) a joke :)

- a sketch of Hello Kitty that is obviously in my handwriting, but I dont remember where it came from

Your turn, what are those odd things on your desktop? :)

- Funnily enough, I have a framed picture of Yoda on mine

- black granite paperweight shaped like a rock with a brass frog crawling over it

- a few large ball bearings and a pair of powerful ovoid magnets

- a candle shaped like an alligator wrapped around a scaly ball

- a brachiopod fossil

- some old, dried out bird bones and a small deer's antler

- a few of my great grandfather's old relics inlcuding his solid gold nail-care kit

- A heavy wooden box with a large bronze skink attached to the lid

- a wooden pen carved in the shape of a sperm whale

and finally

- half of an old rusty horseshoe

----edit----

- does a small, sleeping lovebird with a whistling snore count?

-mt. dew cans

-screwdrivers

-sim rounds. 4. standard bullet casing, but with a wax pellet instead of metal. USMC uses it for training. leaves a bruise you wouldnt believe.

-two handmade ceramic cups full of coins. one with the word "jose" the other with the most unbelievably ugly purple hearts you have ever seen.

-my brothers inhaler

-a stack of hardrive magnets, most of which are broken

-a plastic miniature version of the buddy christ statue as seen in my avatar.

-small plastic cup full of screws

-soldering iron

far too much to list here in all honesty, from dead batteries, lumps of magnesium, acids, test meters, books, goggles, tools, rocket engines, racks of test tubes and flasks, the computer with my Skeleton on a Surfboard sitting on top etc...

it`s the Maids day off :)

Only two things that appear strange to me.

A diagram generated by a mathematician I met who showed me something about numbers that I would have never(?) found on my own and a packet of peyote seeds given to me by my kids as a birthday present.

On my monitor I have a pirate flag (a Mac user in the Windoze sea) and a small rubber hand (for when we have "all hands" meetings)

On my desktop I have a nose pencil sharpener - you stick the pencil in one of the nostrils

my menagerie of plastic animals I have gotten from geocaches. Many frogs, a few salamanders and other assorted creatures

A small lucite brick that has "TOM" milled into it; did it after I took a shop course

IMM, you`ve got ME curious now, I`ve just had a little bit of a tidy up and found 2 rolls of aluminium tape I thought I`de lost, some already chewed gum (I was probably keeping it for something) a furbie (the battery still works) and half a flash light.

I`ve not even Dared to move the monitors or computers to look behind them!

I have an "If you may use it this week sometime, don't put it away" desk philosophy. I tend to let stuff pile up until a purge is a necessity as opposed to simple maintenance. And I work from home so I tend to keep my desk "all business" as much as possible.

Yesterday was Purge Day, so today is pretty sparse. Besides the comp, phone and yellow legal pad which are mainstays, I have:

• A miniature southwestern woven rug I use as a coffe cup coaster.
  • My Pepe Le Pew coffee mug holding my pens. pencils & scissors.
  • The D battery with a sprung paper clip taped to the top which was the weight for the trebuchet I built out of Kinex®, which until yesterday was also on my desk.

I'll reply for now with what's cluttering up my office, then later reply with the contents of home workspace (which is *very* odd).

In my office, aside from normal stuff (books, papers, forms, stuff to grade), there is:

A chibi Boba Fett

Mardi Gras beads

A weeble (those little puff-balls with googly eyes and stick-on feet that get given away all the time)

A plastic alligator and crocodile

A plastic Styracosaurus

One of those toys with a crocodile head on the end of a stick which closes its mouth when you pull a trigger at the other end

3 soapstone bookends of Thoth, the ibis-headed Egyptian god of wisdom

The 1st season of Penn & Teller's 'Bullshit!'

2 unknown feathers

24 plastic jointed toy snakes, a box of straws and bags of rubber bands (for a project)

A plush bookworm (from giantmicrobes.com)

3 vertebrae of a bushmaster (the longest viper in the world, usually over 8 feet)

A shed skin of my 9 foot boa tacked to the wall and reaching to the ceiling

A wooden jointed snake

Comics (mostly farside) on the door

A printout of the onion Intelligent Falling article

Pictures of the muscular anatomy of 5 snake species taped to the wall

A fishbowl-sized terrarium full of Cape Sundews (carnivorous plants), with a lamp, timer, and plexiglass cover.

Of course, home has much more stuff...

Mokele

I have 6 photo flash capacitors strewn about my desk from a batch that somebody donated to me; various transistors, most dead from some horrible ailment that only the god's can diagnose, and have lost their magic smoke long ago; my multimeter which I am not actually sure how it left my lab and survived the journey to my desk; my camera, which usually ends up at my desk anyway; a plethora of unmarked CDs; a few element samples; and a few meals worth of crumbs and food scraps. Not to mention all the junk that is perfectly normal to find at a desk. Such as a copper plated doorknob missing a door.

My desk is a mess so I'll try to keep it short,

1) I-pod (20gb)

2) random CDs (music and pc)

3) "The Quantum World" by JC Polkinghorne

4) The "Freaks and Geeks" DVD box set

5) computer paper

6) A Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts club band beatles cardboard thing from the 70's

7) a folded paper plate from my pizza from the weekend

8)Psychological Reports jounral October 2005 edition - which isn't mine and I don't know how it got there

9) a Malice Mizer DVD

10) a Klezmatic's CD

11) a strange pen that balances on it's end

12) picture of me and my girlfriend

13) telephone

14) wallet

15) I could go on forever, but I'm not going to

-Glass of water

-Chemistry lab manual

-Ipod (60 GB video version), and two sets of headphones

-empty can of Minute Maid Light

-German Shepherd calendar (the kind with a new page for every day)

-birthday card

-small notebook

-the November 10 edition of Nature

-a leather cd book with all my software cds

-two orange and blue "shakers" aka pom poms (for football games, I'm an Auburn student and you must have them at games, we have school spirit oozing out our asses at this school, WAR EAGLE!)

-spring semester course catalog

-notes for the research paper I'm currently working on

Well, now I'm at home, so time for the big haul, since my desk has lots of cubby-holes and such.

Frames crocodiles photo, coral, shells, plastic dinosaurs, plastic deep-sea fish, head-bobbing vulture, newt preserved in plastic, bullfrog skeleton, fish skeleton preserved in plastic, plush shark, abandoned hornet hive, antique surveying scope, chinese dragon sculpture, meditation balls, gator skull, weaverbird next, casts of dinosaur claws, box turtle shell, plastic thresher shark, my aeropace and biology degrees, skulls of a python, 2 species of monitor lizard, rhino iguana, garfish, softshell turtle, and tree boa, fossil megaladon tooth, fossil gator scute, fossil crocodile teeth, fossil giant rattlesnake vertebrae, fossil triceratops frill fragment, fossil duckbill dinosaur tendon, mastodon tusk fragment, pterosaur tooth, insect in amber, pyritized ammonite, earings made of brown tree snake vertebrae, bushmaster vertebrae and ribs, various scraps of food and old cans, 5 yen, bobble-head gremlin, dissecting kit, tarantula in glass paperweight.

That should be most of it.

Mokele, atop a mountain of stuff

Ok, you people are seriously strange. (grin)

- 3 business cards for various tree-cutting services (I do it myself; no idea why these are here)

- 2 take-out menus (pizza and chinese)

- Matt Bishop's "Computer Security: Art & Science"

- Peter Norvig's "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach"

- A 10gb hard drive that I have no idea what to do with

- A copy of Windows XP 64-bit edition that Microsoft sent me to eval when hell freezes over

- 1 packet of silica gell (marked "Do not eat!") (hehe)

- 4 AA batteries (don't ask)

- A very tall plastic bottle of Bayer aspirin

- 1 partridge in pear tree

I think the oddest thing on my desk is a 24oz mt. dew bottle (empty, thank God) with 4 fake roses in it, two black, one yellow, and one orange (black and gold being the High-School Colors, and Black and Orange being a college's colors from around here that I was at for a year).... Hanging from the flowers (where they come out from the bottle) is a silver christmas ornimant (the plain balls) with my name painted on it, which my ex-girlfriend gave to me...

Otherwise:

-various connectors to my laptop

-a "pop circle" (used at work on the pop machine to identify which button dispences which flavor pop) being used as a coaster

-A picture of me and my 4 closest friends

-a small American Flag

-A desklamp

-my Nintendo DS (pluged into the wall)

-Various CDs

-My 20 Questions game ball (those little electric ones...)

-My TI-89 Calculator

-various pencils, pens, and even crayons

-My Return of the King Extened DVD set

-And lastly, my Burger King hat, with DT expert, speed team, blue ribbon, Three Year, Original Whopper, and 110% pins, and buttons from years of being there... Which, now that I think about it is kinda weird too, but not as weird as a mt. Dew bottle with fake flowers in it...

• 2 weeks later...