Cool Facts

herpguy

and sayonara: it was the way I posted it! Do some research!

I know it was the way you posted it, that was my point. I don't really think I need to research anything.

It was actually meant to be humorous. I imagined you baking parallel trays of chocolate and TNT cookies, then testing them in the bath.

• 6 months later...
Chocolate chip cookies have 8 times the energy of TNT. FACT!

That's probably "energy from digestion"?

It's like the question: which has more energy: a relatively fresh yellow/green banana or a ripe and brown/yellow banana?

Answer: for total energy it's the greenish banana.

The banana burns some of itself while it ripens. It produces CO2.

However, it also produces more free sugars (monomeric), and those are easy to digest. So for us people, a ripe banana "contains more energy"...

Chocolate chip cookies have 8 times the energy of TNT. FACT!

That's probably "energy from digestion"?

Actually, it's because TNT has pathetically little energy, since it contains and is already partially combined with its own oxidizer. He might not have included the weight of the oxygen needed to consume the cookies, but even so, they would have more energy since the oxygen is not combined with the cookies. Also, people think TNT has a lot of energy since it can release it quickly.

Can you write down which reactions we're talking about?

I propose to "model" the cookies as glucose (sugar):

[ce] C6H12O6 + 6 O2 -> 6 CO2 + 6 H2O [/ce]

And TNT can be itself. Let's also assume that TNT detonates in stead of burning up...

[ce] 2 C7H5N3O6 -> 3 N2 + 5 H2O + 7 CO + 7 C [/ce]

Before I spend any time on this, I want to reach a conclusion about the TNT-reaction. We can also agree on complete combustion: The remaining CO and C will also burn.

[ce] 7 CO + 7 C + 10.5 O2 -> 14 CO2 [/ce]

If we can agree on this (detonation or combustion, and also if glucose is satisfactory to model the cookie?), then we can proceed to calculate the heat of reaction. If the cookie is to be represented by another molecule, or even a group of them, please provide a heat of formation or combustion.

Note that although the TNT contains oxygen, it is not oxidized. It's like gunpowder... it contains the oxygen (in the form of nitrate) but it will only oxidize when you ignite it. On TNT, the oxygen atoms break their bond with the nitrogen atom, and form another one with hydrogen to form water. This releases quite a bit of energy.

I still think we're talking about the digestion-energy... that I cannot calculate, but I wouldn't recommend to eat TNT anyway.

• 1 month later...

The QE2 sailed at 6 inches to the gallon!

(Sh*t - I just looked this up and apparently it is a myth - at her cruising speed it was 50 foot per gallon. The 6 inches must have been from rest or something)

Google, the Internet search company founded in September 1998. by Larry Page & Sergey Brin, got it's name from the word Googol, which represents number 1 followed with hundred zeros after it.

And don't forget the googolplex! 10 to the power of a googol! :D

In 1940 Dr. S.S. Bryukhonenko at the Institute of Experimental Physiology and Therapy, Voronezh, U.S.S.R conducted research where he experimented with dogs and proved that dogs head can live without its body for three days. Special artificial conditions were created to power the head with arterial and venous pumps. Dog's isolated head reacted to all basic external stimulants: light, sound, pain and taste. This disturbing Russian experiment helped scientist around the world to create artificial organs that are used by many medical institutes. More recently Dr. Robert White of Ohio claims that he transplanted a monkey's head onto another monkey's body.

In 1940 Dr. S.S. Bryukhonenko at the Institute of Experimental Physiology and Therapy, Voronezh, U.S.S.R conducted research where he experimented with dogs and proved that dogs head can live without its body for three days. Special artificial conditions were created to power the head with arterial and venous pumps. Dog's isolated head reacted to all basic external stimulants: light, sound, pain and taste. This disturbing Russian experiment helped scientist around the world to create artificial organs that are used by many medical institutes. More recently Dr. Robert White of Ohio claims that he transplanted a monkey's head onto another monkey's body.

uh.. WOW. References, please!

There is a video of it although there are debates as to whether it was faked or not.

i can't actually find anything beyond all the tosh that people have posted about it on the net(various crap from Bryukhonenko decapitating himself and his head being kept alive in a jar a la futurama to him working on aliens that crash landed in siberia)

Here is the wikipedia article.

You may believe that the richest person in the world is a certain sheik who controls oil companies. Nah. The top three spots hold Investments, telecom, and computer giants. The top five richest people are: 1) Warren Buffett 2) Carlos Slim Helu 3) William Gates III 4) Lakshmi Mittal 5) Mukesh Ambani.

reference

http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/05/richest-people-billionaires-billionaires08-cx_lk_0305billie_land.html

Zero was invented in India by Indian mathematicians dating as early as 5th century. They widely used it in calculations, astronomy and astrology. Zero was spread by Arabians to the Europe and there on it was spread all over. Before this, all Europeans used roman numerical which were difficult to calculate on as they were in the form of Symbols, lengthy and had limits. New Math Multiplication Method

No offense to anyone, these are great facts, but I suggest that each post in the thread MUST have references, so it can (a) be properly verified and (b) so we can read more about it if needed.

At SFN, Mooeypoo has used the word "reference" in 36 posts, "references" in 29 posts, and "citation" in 5.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/search.php

;)

Pfft.

People deliver a max. of about 400 W. Assume that passing a gate takes 1 second. Assume that 100 million people (all of Japan) pass the gate daily. That delivers 400*1*1e8 = 40 GJ of energy, or an average of 460 kW... which is nothing for a whole country's rail system. One modern electric locomotive consumes 4.5 MW (megawatt!)... so this environmentally friendly gate will provide about 10% of the power consumption of 1 locomotive (at peak power).