Cool Facts

herpguy

It could go either way, guys. "And" is clearly not a number, nor is it part of the number, it's just something we often add when speaking the number out loud.

One hundred one

One hundred two

One hundred three...

One oh four

One oh five

One oh six...

One hundred and seven

One hundred and eight

One hundred and nine...

The and is conventional, not part of the number, but I do give a lot of credit to shyvera for the very astute observation, all the same. :)

I was taught that "and" implied a non-integer, with the default being a decimal. One hundred and one implied 100.1, but the protocol also applied to other fractions e.g. "one and one-eighth"

I pronounce 100.1 “one hundred point one” (which I believe is how most people in the UK say it). :cool:

In fact the “a” may turn up among the positive integers much sooner than 1000, or even 101. In the past you could say “one and twenty”, “two and twenty” etc for 21, 22, etc (cf Jeremiah 52:1 of the King James Version of the Bible: “Zedekiah was one and twenty years old when he began to reign …”). This is now archaic in English, but is still used in German and Dutch: 21 is einundzwanzig in German and eenentwintig in Dutch. So, I suppose, depending on which style of English you speak (as well as your views on the numerical integrity of the word “and”), the letter “a” may appear as early as 21, or not until 1000.

Edited by shyvera

• 2 weeks later...
Everest is not the highest Mountain, K2 is higher. By about 30 feet I believe.

Close! but no cigar im afraid. Mt. Kilamanjaro is the highest, because of the angle at which it is situated, by about 27.4 ft, :eek:

Close! but no cigar im afraid. Mt. Kilamanjaro is the highest, because of the angle at which it is situated, by about 27.4 ft, :eek:

This is exactly why we request "cool facts" to be accompanied by reference.

The lists here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_mountains#The_list

and here: http://geology.com/records/highest-mountain-in-the-world.shtml

Show Everest to be the highest peak measured from the ocean-level. Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain if you measure its height from the bottom of the sea.

If we go by which is the mountain peak that's closest to the moon (IE, farthest from the Earth's core), the answer is that Ecuadorian mountain Chimborazo, because the Earth isn't a perfect sphere, it's "squashed", and the equator is further out from the core than the poles.

http://googlesightseeing.com/2010/02/08/mount-everest-no-longer-worlds-highest-mountain/

~moo

More references:

http://www.universetoday.com/guide-to-space/earth/tallest-mountains/

In fact, a snake may ingest plant matter via the victims last meal. What about the Leach?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
hmmm....that's why it smells this way.:D

i didn't know that. i'll have to write the governor about that one.

In fact, a snake may ingest plant matter via the victims last meal. What about the Leach?

• 1 month later...

The most dangerous animal in the world is the common housefly. Because of their habits of visiting animal waste, they transmit more diseases than any other animal.

Interesting, but not surprising. Flys land in anything because of the smell not because of the appearance. Just aweful....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The most dangerous animal in the world is the common housefly. Because of their habits of visiting animal waste, they transmit more diseases than any other animal.

Here some more cool facts are ------------

50 years ago: Velcro was invented. 1. 40 years ago: An all-female population of lizards was discovered in Armenia. 2. 30 years ago: The computer mouse was invented. 3. 20 years ago: First test-tube baby born in England, Pluto’s moon, Charon, discovered. 4. 10 years ago: First patent for a genetically-engineered mouse was issued to Harvard Medical School. 5. 5 years ago: The first successful cloning of human embryo

6. The smallest bone in the human body is the stapes or stirrup bone located in the middle ear. It is approximately .11 inches (.28 cm) long.

7. The longest cells in the human body are the motor neurons. They can be up to 4.5 feet (1.37 meters) long and run from the lower

spinal cord to the big toe.

Taraxacum officinale also known as the common dandelion is not native to North American and was instead first introduced to the continent in the 1600's by European settlers who brought it for food.

Likewise, European settlers introduced the now-familiar earthworm and honeybee (the designated "state insect" in 17 US states) to North America, which have profoundly transformed the continent.

• 2 months later...

Replying to: The world's largest amphibian is the giant salamander. It can grow up to 5 ft. in length.

Actually, the largest amphibian can grow up to six feet. It is the Chinese giant salamander.

Another fact on amphibians: One of the smallest frogs in the world has the largest tadpole, it grows backwards!

It's called the Paradoxical frog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ohio- It is illegal to sell beer while wearing a Santa Claus suit, even if you are a dog.

I didn't know dogs had opposable thumbs strong enough to hold the neck of a beer bottle... :o)

It could go either way, guys. "And" is clearly not a number, nor is it part of the number, it's just something we often add when speaking the number out loud.

One hundred one

One hundred two

One hundred three...

One oh four

One oh five

One oh six...

One hundred and seven

One hundred and eight

One hundred and nine...

The and is conventional, not part of the number, but I do give a lot of credit to shyvera for the very astute observation, all the same. :)

Let's not get too technical... "And" is a conjunction, not a #!

Apparently most people fear spiders more than they do death. Why would that be, I wonder? I mean, the worst thing a spider bite can do is kill you.

I remind people daily: There is no bug mightier than a shoe!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are a few:

-Human tapeworms can grow up to 22.9m.

-When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is 20 times that of the space shuttle during launch.

-Giraffes often sleep for only 20 minutes in any 24 hours. They may sleep up to 2 hours (in spurts – not all at once), but this is rare. They never lie down.

-There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.