Cool Facts

herpguy

The universe is beige

Cosmic Latte is the color of the universe, according to a team of astronomers from Johns Hopkins University. In 2001, Karl Glazebrook and Ivan Baldry determined that the color of the universe was a greenish white, but they soon corrected their analysis in "The 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey: constraints on cosmic star-formation history from the cosmic spectrum", published in 2002. In this paper, they reported that their survey of the color of all light in the universe added up to a slightly beige white. The survey included more than 200,000 galaxies, and measured the spectral range of the light from a large volume of the universe. The hexadecimal RGB value for Cosmic Latte is #FFF8E7.

In a Washington Post article, the color was displayed. Glazebrook jokingly said that he was looking for suggestions for a name for the new color. Several people who read the article sent in suggestions. "Cosmic Latte" was selected.

In the 9 on topic posts since Moo asked that people share references supporting their claims, none of them has done so.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16283&page=11

Since iNow pointed out moo's statistics in requesting references, moo has tried to bite her tongue 9 times.

She's currently shaking, sweating and muttering uncontrollably. Sad, really.

References, plea-- oh, the relief!

Printer manufacturers print invisible yellow dots on consumer's prints that check to see if a person is printing counterfeit money. If you call your printer manufacturer and ask them to "please stop spying on you", they will send secret services to your address to find out why you care about your privacy. Upset? You should be. The more people who call their printer's manufacturers and make this request, the more likely secret services will refuse to investigate.

reference: my fact book(intresting book of facts)

Yes, please do, I know I've been joking and funny about this, but it really is annoying. We are a science forum, and as such, we have the requirements of a scientific thinking and refering, SPECIFICALLY in a thread like this.

Please provide references to prove your tidbits, or don't post them at all. Beyond the fact that copy/paste without sourcing is plagiarism, if you post a statement that has no references, it might be a FALSE statement, in which case it should not be in the "Cool Facts" thread, but rather in the "I wonder if it's true" thread.

~moo

invisible and yellow are mutually exclusive.

also, post a source for that.

No they are not, and can you please cite your source.

Incidentally, I'm sure that something can be invisible and yellow; I saw it on this website somewhere.

:)

Individual pollen grains are invisible and yellow.

Here's a picture of one

You can't see it, but everyone knows pollen is yellow.

No they are not, and can you please cite your source.

Incidentally, I'm sure that something can be invisible and yellow; I saw it on this website somewhere.

:)

Individual pollen grains are invisible and yellow.

Here's a picture of one

You can't see it, but everyone knows pollen is yellow.

There's a difference between invisible and hard to see, or invisible and invisible to the naked eye, or invisible and see-through.

Invisible is invisible, and its color doesn't matter. Because it's invisible.

Would it be safe to attempt to print money on something you know is tracking such print jobs?

Stop being so paranoid. There are no consumer-grade printers capable of producing a convincing forgery anyway, never mind ones that contact the CIA every time someone prints a novelty dollar.

Company in Brazil (Suite Vollard) constructed a building in which each floor can rotate 360 degrees. Each building has 11 apartments and each apartment can spin individually in any direction. One rotation takes a full hour, but apartment owner can set rotation speed through apartment control panel. Facades are made of three different types of glass which give wonderful effects when building spins during the sunset. Cost of each apartment is $US 300,000.00.