Cool Facts

herpguy

Feeding someone a cupful of salt will kill them.

i've seen a cow put down using salt after they gave her a pain killer of some sort. Was helping one of our local vets with an Autopsy at my nanna's dairy farm. But this took like 500 grams or so i think, 250grams is a cup..

There are 6.5 million sets of fingerprints on file in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6170070.stm

An infestation of head lice is called pediculosis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6111476.stm

Up to 25% of hospital keyboards carry the MRSA infection.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6107892.stm

An article in the April 26, 1993 article of Physical Review Letters, titled:

"First Measurement of the Left-Right Cross-Section Asymmetry in the Boson Production by e+ e- Collisions",

had 417 authors, ouch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
An article in the April 26, 1993 article of Physical Review Letters, titled:

"First Measurement of the Left-Right Cross-Section Asymmetry in the Boson Production by e+ e- Collisions",

had 417 authors, ouch

In large collaborations when any paper gets published everybody in that collaboration gets on the author list even though most of them have probably never even read it. That one was probably published by one of Fermilab's experiments.

In large collaborations when any paper gets published everybody in that collaboration gets on the author list even though most of them have probably never even read it. That one was probably published by one of Fermilab's experiments.

Fermilab has created a sentient entity that can write and publish papers? Cool!

Fermilab has created a sentient entity that can write and publish papers? Cool!

:confused: What do you mean? Fermilab has published hundreds of papers(well not Fermilab but its experiments).

And I just noticed in the paper mentined above they study e+ e- collisions not p+ p- so its not Fermilab. Sorry...

To stay on topic another cool fact: "stewardess" is the longest word you type with left hand only.

:confused: What do you mean? Fermilab has published hundreds of papers(well not Fermilab but its experiments).

I think the papers were written by the experimenters rather than the lab, or the experiments.

To stay on topic another cool fact: "stewardess" is the longest word you type with left hand only.

You have no idea about how I type. For "stewardesses" I use my right hand on the "t" and "r"

I think the papers were written by the experimenters rather than the lab, or the experiments.
Papers are published by the experiments, that is why everybody in the experiment gets on the author list and there are no first author papers. But I must admit you are right, papers are in fact written by actual people, not "the experiments" :D

You have no idea about how I type. For "stewardesses" I use my right hand on the "t" and "r"
Wow, you got me there buddy. Good job :D

i think the fact is assuming the 'proper' typing method

and a en_US or en_UK qwerty keyboard(not sure about other localisations).

can't do it on my keyboard, i switched to dvorak. keys are all over the place now.

i think the fact is assuming the 'proper' typing method

and a en_US or en_UK qwerty keyboard(not sure about other localisations).

No doubt in my mind that this was more true when most typists were properly trained, on QWERTY keyboards, before the advent of the personal computer and the rise of legions of us hunt-and-peck-ers.

• 4 months later...

Chocolate chip cookies have 8 times the energy of TNT. FACT!

When the asteroid hit the Earth 65 million years ago (dina... extinction), it had energy 100 times its mass in TNT. FACT!

You are radioactive! FACT!

Every second you have 3000 radioactive explosions in your body. FACT!

Every second your body is penetrated by millions of particles. FACT!

:rolleyes:

Chocolate chip cookies have 8 times the energy of TNT. FACT!

I'll need some clarification and supporting evidence for this one.

Every second you have 3000 radioactive explosions in your body. FACT!

~3000 from C-14, and at least that many from K-40, I think.

I'll need some clarification and supporting evidence for this one.

It is true, believe me! Every time I have said this to someone, even to physics majors, they have laughed and have all asked me one question "Then why don't we blow thing up with chocolate?".

But the difference stands in power. Chocolate DOES have energy 8 times grates than TNT per gram. But Chocolate releases that energy through a series of processes that we call metabolism. And it releases than energy in more time, and that makes it less powerful.

On the other side, TNT releases its energy on the thousandth of a second, and according to:

[math]P=\frac{A}{t}[/math] that makes it more powerful than chocolate. TNT releases it's energy a lot faster than chocolate, but chocolate has 8 times the energy of TNT.

And also an important fact is that TNT has all the molecules that it needs to explode. It needs nothing more (except to light the fuse) to release all the energy it contains. But chocolate need to combine with air and through metabolism it releases this energy. If we take out the fact that chocolate needs to combine with air, then again chocolate wins and has 4 times the energy of TNT.

FACT!

~3000 from C-14, and at least that many from K-40, I think.

There are ~ 1000 radioactive K-40 explosions per second, the rest comes from C-14 (like you said :)) and other sources (which I don't exactly know)!

Cheers,

Shade

There are ~ 1000 radioactive K-40 explosions per second, the rest comes from C-14 (like you said :)) and other sources (which I don't exactly know)!

4000-5000 per second. Average person has ~140 g of potassium, of which ~16.5 mg will be K-40. I get 4400 for that number.

http://fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/QuantumRelativity/RadioactiveHumanBody/RadioactiveHumanBody.html

http://www.rerowland.com/K40.html

The second link confirms my calculations that an average banana is radioactive at ~12 dps. Back when I was trapping K-37, I came up with the "banana equivalent" for the amount of atoms trapped. Sometimes it was a frustratingly small number (with a half-life of 1.226 sec, one banana of K-40 is equivalent is ~21 atoms of K-37)