Cool Facts

herpguy

I trust your knowledge' date=' but all the same, sources make me trust it just that much more :) .

The highest temperature ever achieved in a lab is 510 million degrees celsius (that's thirty times hotter than the center of the sun) at the TFTR in Princeton, NJ.

Source

Thats insane. How do you contain 510 million degrees celsius!

Thats insane. How do you contain 510 million degrees celsius!

Its only possible for a few seconds, in this time the radiation can't do much.

You can be assured that the chaimber in which they do these tests, it looks like a doughnut!, is well insulated to make sure no heat escapes :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The Giraffe gives birth standing, so the baby drops 6 feet to the ground when born.

Visualize a building 20 miles wide and 20 miles long and 20 miles tall. This will represent all the space we can see with our technology. To represent all matter that we can see inside this empty space, you drop a single grain of sand.

Both facts are from Isaac Asimov's "Book of Facts." (paraphrased by me and my highly fallible brain) However, it was written I believe in 1975 so the 20 mile wide building fact would, of course, be off by now.

Memory foam pillows will freeze stiff as a board if exposed to the right cold temperature. You don't want to get whacked with one in a pillow fight, even warm, as they weigh quite a bit.

I just made a trip to northern Utah and had one in a box in the back of my truck, and it got STIFF. So there must be some captive water molecules involved. Anybody know how they are made?

If you dropped something from the top of a building and yelled "Look out!" at the same time then even assuming the object had no air resistance, for the object to catch up with the sound of your screem the building would have to be more than 22224.4898 meters high.

Memory foam pillows will freeze stiff as a board if exposed to the right cold temperature. You don't want to get whacked with one in a pillow fight' date=' even warm, as they weigh quite a bit.

I just made a trip to northern Utah and had one in a box in the back of my truck, and it got STIFF. So there must be some captive water molecules involved. Anybody know how they are made?[/quote']

Why water? It can't be that the material just has a temperature-dependent elasticity?

• 3 weeks later...

The Sun constitues over 99% of the mass of the entire solar system.

Mercury is the only planet with no moons.

While Mercury is the closest planet to the sun, Venus has the highest average temperature due to its runaway greenhouse effect.

The tallest (known) mountain in the Solar System is Mons Olympus on Mars.

The diameter of Jupiter is equivilant to the diameter of 11 Earths stacked on eachother.

Saturn's moon titan has an atmosphere far thicker than Earth's and is composed mostly of nitrogen and methane

The rotational axis of Uranus is tilted almost 90 degrees; its south pole points towards the sun.

Neptune's moon Triton is the coldest body yet obvserved in the solar system.

Pluto has a moon, Charon, which is more than half the diameter of Pluto itself.

The average American eats 1400 chickens, 21 cows, 14 sheep, and 12 pigs in their lifetime.

Lightning travels at 90000 miles per second - almost half the speed of light.

Sweat produces enough nutrients to feed 65000 bacteria per square inch of the human body.

The brain use 20% of the body's blood supply.

Cesium Hydroxide has the highest pH possible' date=' 15, and can dissolve glass.

Glass is not actually solid but is a Thixotropic Liquid.

thats like saying you could have a Ph of -1

I'm 11 and I knew that![/quote']

But you can have a pH of -1 its just 10mol/l H+ ions.

I've made plenty of acid solutions at this pH