Cool Facts

herpguy

If you have any interesting facts on science post them here!

Here are some of my facts:

You burn more calories eating celery than celery has in it.

People that smoke a pack of cigarettes every day puts a halfcup of tar in his or her's lungs each year.

I'll post more later.

Just like there are carnivorous plants, there are carnivorous sponges, which trap passing prey with tentacles and engulf them, eventually digesting them. As with carnivory in plants, the sponges resort to this method in environments where their primary nutrient source (particulat matter filtered from the water) is not availible in sufficient quantities.

Mokele

I`m going to "Sticky" this thread in the General Science are as I recon it`s got lots of potential if looked after and kept REAL!

any off topicness or spam will be deleted, keep your facts clear and concise and lets see how many good ones we can accumulate :)))

btw, did you know that, In Indiana it's illegal to bathe in winter?

Here are my facts, my first post here :

Did you know that there are 206 bones in the adult human body and there are 300 in children (as they grow some of the bones fuse together).

Flea's can jump 130 times higher than their own height. In human terms this is equal to a 6ft. person jumping 780 ft. into the air.

The most dangerous animal in the world is the common housefly. Because of their habits of visiting animal waste, they transmit more diseases than any other animal.

Snakes are true carnivorous because they eat nothing but other animals. They do not eat any type of plant material.

The world's largest amphibian is the giant salamander. It can grow up to 5 ft. in length.

The ears of a cricket are located on the front legs, just below the knee.

The first electronic digital computer (called ENIAC - the Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator) was developed in 1946 and contained over 18,000 vacuum tubes.

Replying to: The world's largest amphibian is the giant salamander. It can grow up to 5 ft. in length.

Actually, the largest amphibian can grow up to six feet. It is the Chinese giant salamander.

Another fact on amphibians: One of the smallest frogs in the world has the largest tadpole, it grows backwards!

Astatine is probably the rarest naturally occuring element with the whole Earth containing only about one ounce or 25g of this element!

Fluorine is the most electrogegative element known with an electronegativity of 4 and will forn compounds with just about every element including some of the noble gases!

Nitroglycerin (glyceryl trinitrate) is used to treat angina pains!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Actually, not entirely, as it highlights one of the most important principles in biology, namely geometric scaling relations. If you shrink an animal to half it's normal length, all surface areas (muscle cross section, skin area, etc) will be 1/4 and all volumes (mass) with be 1/8th. This means, gram-for-gram, an half-sized animal has twice as much muscle power.

So technically, it's an accurate analogy, and merely illustrates the vast difference a bit of scaling can make in proportional capabilities.

Mokele